Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

02 “door open” beep, drivers lock stopped working.

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
KurtisWagen

02 “door open” beep, drivers lock stopped working.

Post#1 » Thu May 06, 2021 5:51 pm

Hello everyone!

So I am out of state working and my wife just texted me saying our 02 G500 drivers door just stopped locking and unlocking. It works manually she says when the door is closed, but not when open. She also said it’s displaying the “door open” message along with the beeping. She said the key fab won’t work either, it will unlock/lock the passenger doors but just not driver door. She said the cabin lights would not turn off when she got home so she did that manually (door open sensor?).

Any thoughts as to why this would be happening? I know the actuators are prone to fail, but I think it’s interesting the “door open” message is being displayed and maybe it’s linked? I’ve never looked before, but where is the door open sensor? Is it just a pressure point or something different like is it in the latch?

Any thoughts on diagnosis? I’m out of state, so I’ll have to FaceTime my wife later.

Thank you in advance everybody!

-Kurtis
2002 G500 - W463.249
1985 300GD - W460.333

Chris

Re: 02 “door open” beep, drivers lock stopped working.

Post#2 » Thu May 06, 2021 6:37 pm

Door latch has a micro switch that may need replacement, or the door control module is bad($$).
IG: #traildustrestoration

KurtisWagen

Post#3 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:24 pm

Chris wrote:Door latch has a micro switch that may need replacement, or the door control module is bad($$).

Thanks Chris! What do I need to do to diagnose those things and how difficult is it to replace them? Thank you so much!

-Kurtis
2002 G500 - W463.249
1985 300GD - W460.333

Chris

Post#4 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:01 pm

But require taking interior door panel of, control module is just a few screws and many electrical plugs, micro switch can be replaced by reaching into the door but it’s not easy- way easier if you remove window, window frame and door latch.
IG: #traildustrestoration

vadimivanovich

Post#5 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 pm

Just to stop the beeping and make the system think the door is closed you can unplug the micro switch.
"The way you think is the way you live"

KurtisWagen

Post#6 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I won’t be back up that way for a while so I guess she will just have to deal with the beep and manual locking that door until I’m back.

So I have another question, she told me today after she put it in park and turns the vehicle off that it beeps repeatedly and says “Remove Key”. Any ideas on that one? I did a google search but didn’t come across anything except for that maybe the EIS is having a problem. Do you guys think that could be door lock related because it won’t lock electronically?

Any additional thoughts or ideas would be very appreciated, I won’t be able to tackle anything until at least next month but would be good to know so I can be prepared or just have her take it somewhere if it seems it may be more than I can handle.

Thanks guys!
Attachments
DC9FBD6E-D111-405D-AC02-562141546D3E.jpeg
2002 G500 - W463.249
1985 300GD - W460.333

dcurbet

Post#7 » Fri May 14, 2021 7:15 pm

Maybe spraying some graphite lube into the ignition lock will free up any binding. I assume
That’s what’s happening

apple

Post#8 » Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 am

dcurbet wrote:Maybe spraying some graphite lube into the ignition lock will free up any binding. I assume
That’s what’s happening

2002 has an electronic ignition switch (EIS) and I personally would not recommend spraying any liquids directly into it.

Haven’t heard of EIS issues relating to door locks but the “remove key” symptom is not uncommon. This system along with its partner in crime the electronic steering lock (ESL) is shared with many other MB models (w210, w203, w163, etc) which should help with finding possible solutions.

For instance, sometimes the little eis “door” that folds out of the way for the inserted portion of the key will get stuck open triggering this message. If key or IR sensor are dirty, or if truck battery voltage is very low that can also cause issues. The steering lock motor is a common failure point as well (still getting that electronic lock “click” sound when you insert and remove key?).

Unfortunately the error message can also indicate a failing EIS or ESL which has to be replaced/programmed by a dealer or very competent MB mechanic.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”