Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Over Heating 280GE

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
tonykman

Over Heating 280GE

Post#1 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:21 am

Hi,

Does anyone know what the perfect driving temperature should show on the needle on a 280GE 1985 ?

My temperature seems to fluctuate after driving for some time.

**Strange if i park the vehicle and leave it running the needle shows it's overheating?

****I have ATTACHED a picture here to show how it fluctuates from A to B and what is best driving temperature.

It drives great early on but i feel it gets less over the course of the day driving.

We are in final stages of rebuilding this 280GE and just finished BELOW which may help in pinning down over heating;

1. Replaced Fan Clutch
2. Replaced Tensioner Bolt
3. New fan belts
4. Found leaking tubes and replaced/vacuum
5. Fixed holes in exhaust
6. Tuned vehicle
7. New fuel pump/filters

I read in some forums to check thermostat is not up side down ?? How do i know it is ?

Thanks guys
Attachments
Overheating-280GE.jpg

AlanMcR

Re: Over Heating 280GE

Post#2 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:26 am

That pattern points to a bad thermostat. Since you will need to drain most of the system to install the thermostat, now might be a good time to replace the water pump too.
...Alan

VWVRock

Post#3 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:09 am

On the thermostat face there is a small valve consisting of a hole with a captured ball.
See pic here: https://www.theslshop.com/parts-shop/me ... 37675.html

When the thermostat is installed into the housing this valve should be as vertically high as possible.

Anyway, could well be that the thermostat is bad - easy and cheap to replace.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out!

tonykman

Post#4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:58 am

THANKS AlanMcR & VWVRock....I will begin with the Thermostat to check first...

Can i use any thermostat or do i have to purchase one specific to this vehicle from your knowledge?

Thanks guys.
Tony

AlanMcR

Post#5 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:17 pm

You'll want the factory thermostat. And, from experience, the Behr brand. For true peace of mind, test it in a pot of hot water before installing. Keep heating the water until it opens, then check that temperature. Don't go boiling the water.
...Alan

tonykman

Post#6 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks AlanMcR...any ideas were i could find one online ? Thanks

Otiswesty

Post#7 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:45 pm

461.213, 463.241

DesertStar

Post#8 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:46 pm

While checking thermostat, also insure coolant is proper mixture 50/50. Also inspect radiator is in good shape. Like Alan says, test before installing...not uncommon for a new out of box to be defective. Less so on a Behr.

I have chased cooling issues when I first got my 280GE. Hard to pinpoint exactly what fixed it....but for me, I recored the radiator, installed new viscous clutch, installed 9 blade plastic fan, changed water pump and thermostat, and made sure coolant mixture 50/50. I also replaced temp sensors for gauge and electric auxilliary fan while I was "in there".
I did all of this at the same time as accessing water pump kind of required removing all that I replaced.
I have never had a cooling issue since....which includes running a/c in 110 temps in Death Valley.

tonykman

Post#9 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 am

Thanks DesertStar and Otiswesty for the LINKS.

I forgot to mention in my list above i did have the core replaced in radiator also.

Great list above when you mention "auxilliary fan" do you mean the AC unit ? As i have a separate AC unit set up in my G ?

How do i find temp sensors for these online ? (i'm guessing i may just need them due to age of G 1985)

I'm based in the Cayman Islands so it can hot here too maybe not as hot as Death Valley :)

I will go through the list as above to pin it down...THANKS guys

tonykman

Post#10 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Hi guys

When you say coolant mixture 50/50 should I be mixing the coolant mixture 50% water?

I just use regular coolant ?

Where do you feel the needle should be on the temperature display on dash? I feel when it’s on the quarter market it runs well but after this I feel a difference?

THANKS guys tony

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”