Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2013 G550 purchase advice

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
PatrickBateman

2013 G550 purchase advice

Post#1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:12 pm

Hello all,

I’ve been on the hunt for a clean G for a couple of months now and have a question about one I’ve been speaking with the dealer about for two weeks. They took it in on trade and I’ve been in contact with them as they recondition it.

Vitals:

2013 with 65,000 miles.
5 owners (including dealer as last owner of 10 days for some reason, even though they didn’t demo it)
Clean carfax
Semi regular service history @ Mercedes

The car is for sale at an Audi dealership that also owns a MB store. They ran it through the BMW side until they noticed a couple issues they felt more comfortable having Mercedes fix.

I was told the issues were as follows: power steering reservoir leak, coolant tank leak, transfer case output shaft seal leak, dead park tropic sensor, rear window regulator, ash tray in passenger seat missing, power outlet flap missing in trunk, and front and rear brakes and small crack in grill.

They committed to fix all of the above issues (and complete any due scheduled maintenance on top of that) at the agreed upon price, but my questions are as follows:

1.) would these leaks indicate neglect?

2.) would the occurrence of these (what feel like numerous) leaks at 65K miles indicate the vehicle will be more likely to leak from other parts such as transmission, rear main seal, etc? Essentially, is it climate or maintenance that led to these seals to fail? If so, could we expect the failure to be consistent among all rubber gaskets or seals ?

3.) would the owner count scare you? The first few owners held the car for a year or two, but the last has owned it 3 years.

Otherwise it looks to be in great shape and I feel it’s a reasonable price given the current market.

Want to get some thoughtful opinions before I spend a significant amount of money. Please keep in mind the photo is before trade in was processed and detailed. Anything alarming there? Looks like hood insulation is loose?
Attachments
D0D72049-020C-427B-827C-54455CA1685F.jpeg

Ak13

Re: 2013 G550 purchase advice

Post#2 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:49 pm

While the fixes to those leaks are not difficult, I would worry more about the impact of the leaks on the equipment they were supposed to service - especially the transfer case and steering rack. Did you get to test drive for a solid 10 miles, preferably with an opportunity to try the low range? Any observations?

Those leaks should have been caught by a diligent owner or during a periodic service.

Unless there is something unique about this vehicle, I would keep looking for a better specimen...

shiann

Post#3 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 am

The transfer case output shaft leak is the big one here. The other tanks can all be replaced, although it is a bit early for the plastic there to fail.

How big of a 'leak' are these items? How is rust on the common inspection areas? Also a crack in the grill seems a bit odd, given the low miles.
2005 G55k – Mildly Modded/Restored Family Hauler
2005 Volvo S60 T5 M66 – IPD DP, exhaust, sways, R-brembos, FC04A, KW V2
2007 FSAE Auto-X Racecar
IG: shiann_builds

hardtop

Post#4 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 pm

If it were one leak then it may not be neglected. But there are several leaks. That may not be a big issue though since the leaks themselves haven't been quantified. Seeping isn't a big deal. Why the transfer case is leaking would be critical to know if you want to buy it. Drive at 50-65 MPH to check for vibrations.

545moose

Post#5 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:19 pm

shiann wrote:The transfer case output shaft leak is the big one here. The other tanks can all be replaced, although it is a bit early for the plastic there to fail.

How big of a 'leak' are these items? How is rust on the common inspection areas? Also a crack in the grill seems a bit odd, given the low miles.

What are some of the common inspection areas?

shiann

Post#6 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Check for rust bubbles around the windshield, under all the doors, on top of all the doors (including rear door), lower rocker panels, rear shock/spring perches, around all the side and rear windows, under the running boards/side steps, around the rear fuel tank area, frame rails and cross tubes, etc.

Check the swivel balls for leaking grease, check the differentials, transfer case, transmission, oil pan area for oil leaks. Check driveshafts are properly greased. Take a short test drive to make sure all the lockers work. Check the headliner isn't sagging.
2005 G55k – Mildly Modded/Restored Family Hauler
2005 Volvo S60 T5 M66 – IPD DP, exhaust, sways, R-brembos, FC04A, KW V2
2007 FSAE Auto-X Racecar
IG: shiann_builds

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”