Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Bi-Xenon headlights into older W463?

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Micha

Bi-Xenon headlights into older W463?

Post#1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:02 am

I am wondering if I can put the headlights from a 2015 model (easily) into a 2003? My old '03 has a regular H4 plug/harness while the newer model has a 7-pin connector, i.e. 2 extra wires. What are your thoughts?

HolsonY

Re: Bi-Xenon headlights into older W463?

Post#2 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:48 am

I think so - there's a guy on MBW trying to sell his set for a long time and posted part #s

Copied....
Headlights: #463-820-07-59
Headlight plug socket: #014-545-62-26
Harness: #000-540-27-05
Brackets: only one versions were made by MB and cannot find the PN (but these are the correct brackets)

https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w460 ... n-kit.html

7" LEDs might be more cost effective but these are plenty bright
18 G550, 19 Nissan Leaf S | IG: @gunthergwagen

shiann

Post#3 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:08 am

I would suggest you go with 7" round LED lights instead. There are a few choices and they'll be less expensive (usually), easier to install, and have the same light output overall.

I went with a set from JW Speaker. Truck-Lite makes one, as does Morimoto and KC Highlights. Any 7" round light made for a jeep will fit. There are also W463A style lights floating around on ebay/alibaba.

My 2005 truck ran into issues with the computers not detecting enough current draw and shutting off the lights, so I had to make a headlight resistor bracket. You may or may not run into this issue also if you choose to go LED.
2005 G55k – Mildly Modded/Restored Family Hauler
2005 Volvo S60 T5 M66 – IPD DP, exhaust, sways, R-brembos, FC04A, KW V2
2007 FSAE Auto-X Racecar
IG: shiann_builds

Micha

Post#4 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 am

@HolsonY - thank you for the information! Anyone else with any insight? I am sure that the new lights will physically fit, but what I do not know is how much information "should" be sent to "a computer/black box/SAM" that would then change "something" inside the light when switching between hi/low beam ... there is a reason why the newer lights have seven pins vs. five (3 for H4 bulb and 2 for parking light bulb).

Micha

Post#5 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 am

@shiann - thank you! I did install LEDs last week. Work fine on low beam, but when switched to high beam, passenger side goes completely dark at first and then flashes with a 8 sec interval or so. Driver's side is fine. Have not diagnosed yet, suspect wiring issue (or light).

shiann

Post#6 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Which 7" LED lights did you go with? Or did you go with LED bulbs in the OE halogen housings?

my JW Speaker 8700 Evo J2's did not draw enough current when the low beams were on for the computer to be happy, thus the computer turned the circuit off. The only way to restart the circuit was to restart the truck. High beams did not have an issue as there was enough current draw.

I custom made a set of 12 ohm equivalent load resistors with large heat sinks and a fan to cool them down, and bolted the whole thing to the inner fender. Since you're having issues with your high beams and not low beams, your issue is probably different.

Can you verify the wiring harness is functioning correctly by putting the halogen lights back in?
2005 G55k – Mildly Modded/Restored Family Hauler
2005 Volvo S60 T5 M66 – IPD DP, exhaust, sways, R-brembos, FC04A, KW V2
2007 FSAE Auto-X Racecar
IG: shiann_builds

apple

Post#7 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:16 pm

Micha wrote:I am sure that the new lights will physically fit

they actually won't. Hence the need for the new 'bucket' sheet metal panels from MB to accommodate the much larger ballast housings on the factory xenons. The existing front fender panels spot welds have to be drilled out and you can either grind the area and weld the new panels in, or replace with rivets..

Re-pinning the connectors is a simple task comparatively and if done correctly should produce no error codes or issues with functions or CANBUS.

If you want to spend a lot less time and money to get the same factory look, DEPO makes a set of aftermarket HID's that look like the 2015+ style but fit in the older halogen buckets and are plug and play.

paulunm

Post#8 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:59 pm

apple wrote:
Micha wrote:I am sure that the new lights will physically fit

they actually won't. Hence the need for the new 'bucket' sheet metal panels from MB to accommodate the much larger ballast housings on the factory xenons. The existing front fender panels spot welds have to be drilled out and you can either grind the area and weld the new panels in, or replace with rivets..

Re-pinning the connectors is a simple task comparatively and if done correctly should produce no error codes or issues with functions or CANBUS.

If you want to spend a lot less time and money to get the same factory look, DEPO makes a set of aftermarket HID's that look like the 2015+ style but fit in the older halogen buckets and are plug and play.

How's the beam pattern of the Depot units? Brightness?

Edit- the Depo units aren't HID are they? Halogen only?

jackxter

Post#9 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:50 am

Micha wrote:@shiann - thank you! I did install LEDs last week. Work fine on low beam, but when switched to high beam, passenger side goes completely dark at first and then flashes with a 8 sec interval or so. Driver's side is fine. Have not diagnosed yet, suspect wiring issue (or light).

I had the same issue. Fine on low-beam, on high-beam, one would shut off. I put the old ones back and called it a day :(
-Jack

apple

Post#10 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 am

paulunm wrote:the Depo units aren't HID are they? Halogen only?

I don’t own a set myself but I think you’re correct.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”