Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

DRL / Mirror G63 conversion

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
PatrickBateman

DRL / Mirror G63 conversion

Post#1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:18 pm

I know this is likely not the target audience for such modifications, but the wealth of knowledge found here amongst members is promising enough for me to venture on and ask.

I have a 2011 G550 and I am getting ready to drop it off with a car audio tech to install LED Headlight housing covers (ala 2013+ model G's) as well as 13+ mirrors and a G63 front bumper. It's my understanding that to avoid error codes on the dash (especially for the fog light delete as the G63 bumper does not account for fogs), the use of resistors will be necessary.

While I remain an electrical noob myself, my research on various forums has taught me resistors get incredibly hot- enough so to potentially melt plastics and wires, or worse.

Is there any way around the use of resistors in this case? For those of you who have added these parts, what was your method? I hope to get as much intel as possible and take it to my installer next week.

Thanks in advance!

PatrickBateman

Re: DRL / Mirror G63 conversion

Post#2 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:19 am

Update: Decided just on doing the DRL's and mirrors.

Staying with stock g550 bumper and foglight, I don't want to bastardize this truck... when I was looking to purchase it, I immediately ignored any g550 that had been converted to a 63. I figured they were likely not maintained, or owned by a more vain person. Anyhow, it's a gorgeous truck as is and I'll enjoy it that way.

My questions about the resistors for mirrors/DRL's remain, however. Would love some feedback regarding those.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”