Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Rhythmic clicking from front right wheel 230GE

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Winston

Re: Rhythmic clicking from front right wheel 230GE

Post#11 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:48 pm

e9coupe wrote:Wonderful. It doesn't click but it does make a strange noise. I guess that qualifies, along with the looseness.

Looseness is the wheel bearing. Does it make a clicking sound when you push the wheel at 12 o’clock? You can test this with wheels on ground.

How many miles on the axle?
IG @oldironmash

Otiswesty

Post#12 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:40 pm

If it is a Puch 230GE with only 50,000 miles on it, maybe it is not the wheel bearing. Possibly a rotted rubber ball joint boot and rusted joint. The Swiss trucks ran stock sized tires and weren't subjected to the high wheel bearing stress loading caused by over sized heavy wheel/tire set ups.

It's worth having a good mechanic check it out before you start buying expensive parts.
461.213, 463.241

Chris

Post#13 » Fri May 20, 2022 7:59 pm

G Wheel bearings go bad no matter what size tire is used, I have never seen a correlation between the tire size/weight and bearing longevity.

460/461 front bearings tend to last 40-50k miles and 463 front WBs usually last double that.
Always exceptions to this, my 460’s front WBs have been running for 100k miles with no sign of play… with 37” tires.
IG: #traildustrestoration

e9coupe

Post#14 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:17 am

Winston wrote:
e9coupe wrote:Wonderful. It doesn't click but it does make a strange noise. I guess that qualifies, along with the looseness.

Looseness is the wheel bearing. Does it make a clicking sound when you push the wheel at 12 o’clock? You can test this with wheels on ground.

How many miles on the axle?

No noise when pushing the wheel at 12 o'clock, just play. The other noise is wheel speed and when you go walking speed it makes sort of a muffled creaking noise. Hard to explain. It's a little like the sound a loose wheel makes, but I checked that. My guess would be the CV.
Dan
Rocklin, CA
2000 G500 Europa
1979 280GE LWB (om617a swap)

gopnik_horror

Post#15 » Mon May 30, 2022 7:16 am

Finally got my claw wrench in the mail and went to start inspecting the front axels. Behold!! A completely buggered lock washer (also included a pic of the wear on the hub nut from the torn washer). Is this normal? I am waiting to get some new ones, but in the mean time I pounded them flat and refitted the old ones. I also noticed that the hub nuts were very loose when I went to take them off. Does anyone have any suggestions on the right amount of torque that the hub nuts need?

https://imgur.com/K8rrizk

https://imgur.com/KUuOfTV

https://imgur.com/NA3JFgv

Regardless.. after tightening them down to this specification (may have to scroll to bottom)
https://gwagenw463.blogspot.com/2018/02 ... ement.html
I noticed the grinding sound went away. Could it be that these lock washers were the cause? If so do they often become torn away like this?

Thanks!!
-Nate

G Nome

Post#16 » Mon May 30, 2022 7:43 am

Looks to me like whoever put it on did not lock the washer with the the folding pieces properly and it spun. This nicked the nut.

Glad you are getting it sorted.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

Chris

Post#17 » Mon May 30, 2022 8:22 am

Most likely situation is the bearings went bad and driving around on loose WBs caused the washer to fail.
Driving around on loose WBs for a while also ruins the hub, CV joint and in extreme cases the cv housing and axle tube.
IG: #traildustrestoration

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”