Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Dash control part# 463 800 02 52 came apart

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Greenliner

Dash control part# 463 800 02 52 came apart

Post#1 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:36 am

Hi all,
First off I want to thank "Kyle" w123_sedan_guy for his excellent ignition lock tutorial. I could not have attempted removal of my "ticking time bomb" without the pictures & instructions on how to remove even the dash panels. My 1996 Puch G 350GDT Swiss Worker has utilitarian, "non-wood" 2 piece trim, held in place with 2 inaccessible screws. I had to remove the steering wheel to peel back all of the layers.
First question: Does anyone know what the torque spec of the 10mm hex bolt that holds the steering wheel to the column?
Apologies in advance, I am not sure what this switch controls, to the left of the steering wheel. When I had the dash torn apart, behind the panel, part # 463 800 02 52 came apart. Does this have something to do with a Euro W463 Headlight Leveling System?
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0828.jpg

When it came apart, the plastic edge above the part # is uneven. (as if it broke apart vs front & back unsnapped apart. Can I order a replacement part (NLA or hard to find) or can I possibly glue it back together? "The Casualties of War"

IMG_0815.jpg

I got it out, without having to surgically dremel it out!!!
I ordered an ignition lock with the electrical switch, tumbler, & ignition tumbler coding service from Vladimir at fourbyrfourclub.com

"Victory"

Also many thanks to AlanMcR, Chris, Eric"Ostiwesty, "Dan"TechMGogy

Brian

AlanMcR

Re: Dash control part# 463 800 02 52 came apart

Post#2 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:23 am

Yep, that is the old hydraulic headlight adjuster. Throw that away. MB should have sent a written apology for not vetting that design.
If you want to get the function back, you can use the hoses to pull the wiring for an aftermarket electric adjuster all the way through to the headlights.

The 10mm hex is tightened "tight, but still able to be removed the next time".
...Alan

Greenliner

Post#3 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:09 am

Hi all,
The reason I was asking about the torque spec of the 10mm hex bolt is, I could not take off the steering wheel using a 1/2" drive 24" breaker bar. I eventually used an air impact to spin the bolt loose.

Inclosed is another very informative article by J.R. Brown dated 13 August 2007
Steering lock repair or replacement .pdf
(230.62 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

"It is not easy since it was installed with 80Nm."

"Place some Blue Loctite on the countersunk head bolt"
"Tighten to 80Nm."

Erictsn

Post#4 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 pm

Hi All

In the past few days, my 2000 G500 cannot engage the starter and start the G. I have captured the video clips https://youtu.be/U8mQeokdQ1I

Some indications below:
- The central lock works without any issues with opening or closing the doors.
- I can turn the key to the second position and try to engage it. It fails! After this, the key cannot turn to the right-hand side. I turn it back and put away the key!
- I have tried to start the engine using the gear position "P" and "N". No help!

Please let me know if you have any experience to share. I will check the relay and fuses later. I don't think the ignition lock causes it because the key can be freely in or out.

Thanks. Eric

Greenliner

Post#5 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:21 pm

Hi Eric,
I also have no crank starting woes (very similar to your video)
Hopefully, a "new ignition switch" will resolve my no crank starting problem.

Your ignition switch on your 2000 G500 maybe different from my 1996 Puch G 350GDT.

While my dash is torn apart, I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.
Last weekend, I finally disabled my new steering lock.

Now if I can put everything back together, I might be able to tell you if it worked.

Brian

Erictsn

Post#6 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:56 am

Thanks Greenliner

Looking forward for the news from you!

Greenliner wrote:Hi Eric,
I also have no crank starting woes (very similar to your video)
Hopefully, a "new ignition switch" will resolve my no crank starting problem.

Your ignition switch on your 2000 G500 maybe different from my 1996 Puch G 350GDT.

While my dash is torn apart, I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.
Last weekend, I finally disabled my new steering lock.

Now if I can put everything back together, I might be able to tell you if it worked.

Brian

leiwei21

Post#7 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:26 pm

So in the process of trying to remove my steering wheel, I unfortunately started to strip that 10mm hex bolt that holds the steering wheel in place. Guess my 18" 3/8 in breaker bar isn't enough so going to get a 24" 1/2 in driver to try next.

While I figure out solutions to get the existing bolt off, I think I'll need a replacement bolt once I re-assemble the steering wheel. Any idea what part number this steering wheel bolt would be for a 2000 G500? Thanks all.
2000 Europa G500 463.241

DesertStar

Post#8 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:17 pm

I have used a 24" with good results....always make sure the hex is seated nicely to prevent unwanted stripping.

I have also used my cordless Makita impact wrench just to change things up.

AlanMcR

Post#9 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:31 pm

Impact wrench for the win.

I've also used a 24" breaker, counterforcing that with a long padded 1x4 through the spokes. You don't want to apply a lot of force to the problematic steering column lock system.

If the bolt is already in bad shape, then you should find a way to force the tool into the bolt. That is much easier with the impact wrench.
...Alan

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”