Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

G500 2000 won't be crank :<

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Erictsn

G500 2000 won't be crank :<

Post#1 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:49 pm

G500 2000 won't be crank today. Now the central lock still does work well! There is no red and green light in the rear mirror! The dashboard light did not turn on when turning the key to seconds!

What issues make this happen? I think the safety caution or shifter board issues may cause it! :<

Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks :)

https://youtube.com/shorts/waGZqOZf6qA

AlanMcR

Re: G500 2000 won't be crank :<

Post#2 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:50 pm

When the ignition is turned to "ON" (position 2 in Mercedes speak) a lot of lights should come on in the instrument cluster. That isn't happening, so I would point the finger of blame at the ignition switch.
It wasn't clear to me if the key is turning all the way to where it should crank. Could you feel the spring trying to push the key back from Start to On?
If it was getting to the crank position but not cranking, I think that the reason is that K38, the starter lockout relay, is controlled by some of the systems that aren't getting any power.
...Alan

Erictsn

Post#3 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:02 am

Thanks, Alan; it seems it cannot turn to the second position, and the dashboard light is on even the key hasn't been plugged! I will test again tomorrow. Thanks

AlanMcR wrote:When the ignition is turned to "ON" (position 2 in Mercedes speak) a lot of lights should come on in the instrument cluster. That isn't happening, so I would point the finger of blame at the ignition switch.
It wasn't clear to me if the key is turning all the way to where it should crank. Could you feel the spring trying to push the key back from Start to On?
If it was getting to the crank position but not cranking, I think that the reason is that K38, the starter lockout relay, is controlled by some of the systems that aren't getting any power.

Erictsn

Post#4 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:34 am

Updated today - https://youtu.be/U8mQeokdQ1I

I think it is caused by the ignition switch! Am I right?

Chris

Post#5 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:34 am

The tabs on the ignition switch/steering lock can only sustain around 20 years of continuous use, when they break off the electronic switch does not turn.

Replace the ignition switch/steering lock.

See below example of broken tabs, and in the other photo is a used one with intact tabs, but if you look closely one of the tabs is cracked nearly all the way through and the other tab has a small fracture.

I have replaced countless 463 frozen ignition switch/steering locks with these tabs showing visible cracks.
Attachments
D4DAC9FA-F03B-4F61-B7CF-AE116CE4F6E5.jpeg
68465B53-E385-4834-9021-9A0A823C78DE.jpeg
IG: #traildustrestoration

Erictsn

Post#6 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:37 pm

Thanks Chris,
Where can I find the parts? Is it difficult to fix?

Chris wrote:The tabs on the ignition switch/steering lock can only sustain around 20 years of continuous use, when they break off the electronic switch does not turn.

Replace the ignition switch/steering lock.

See below example of broken tabs, and in the other photo is a used one with intact tabs, but if you look closely one of the tabs is cracked nearly all the way through and the other tab has a small fracture.

I have replaced countless 463 frozen ignition switch/steering locks with these tabs showing visible cracks.

ekwalberg

Post#7 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:45 am

Is there a part number for this where I can just buy it online, or is this a dealer-only part that is key-specific? Is this the only part that fails, or do I recall that there is something it works with which also often fails in tandem... if there is a second part (number?) that should also be replaced at the same time now is as good a time as any.

Erictsn, there are other threads here that give some explanation of how to fix it so you can get an idea.
2000 Europa G500

Erictsn

Post#8 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:04 pm

My friend saw the video clip and said that go to check the fuses, relay and if the gear position shows the correct gear on the dashboard! He also asks me to check my key. He suspects the cause from the key's electric part and the sensor of the key lock. :/

Part#
A0014620230
A1164620093

ekwalberg wrote:Is there a part number for this where I can just buy it online, or is this a dealer-only part that is key-specific? Is this the only part that fails, or do I recall that there is something it works with which also often fails in tandem... if there is a second part (number?) that should also be replaced at the same time now is as good a time as any.

Erictsn, there are other threads here that give some explanation of how to fix it so you can get an idea.

AlanMcR

Post#9 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:30 pm

You need to get your hands on a STAR system for an extended time. It will take an hour or two just to get familiar with the arcane interface.

The STAR will allow you to verify which CAN bus devices are online and if they can talk to each other.

On your G, both the DAS2a key reader and the ECU have to agree that this is a valid key. The STAR will tell you if a key is being read, and if it recognized by DAS2a. It might not tell you if the ECU agrees with the key numbers. Now that I think about it. On the 2000, the instrument cluster may also need to agree on the key numbers.

The OM606a ECU has a poorly chosen memory chip that stores the valid key numbers. These are starting to fail. Let's hope that the V8s ECUs don't have the same problem. I know how to fix that problem on the OM606a.

Hey, it could be worse. This happened to me at a trailside pullout here:
36°41'38.98" N 117°34'13.53" W
It was an expensive tow.
...Alan

Erictsn

Post#10 » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:18 am

It fixed, due to the fuse of the starter! :/ The dashboard cannot show the position of the gears! Is there any signal cable disconnection? Thanks

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”