Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Common reasons for short in seat controls?

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
::matthew

Common reasons for short in seat controls?

Post#1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:30 pm

1998 g320 with electric seats. Fuse blew and there was smoke in the box under it. Took seat back off and removed box with seat attached to look for any suspect wires but didn’t see anything.

Couldn’t remove seat rails from box because I couldn't adjust seat - is there a manual method?

Anyway - if there is a usual suspect here, please let me know where to look.
98 Europa G320 LWB

dcurbet

Re: Common reasons for short in seat controls?

Post#2 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:59 pm

Long wheel base or short? On mine the wires were ran through the seat folding mechanism and when the seat forward and backwards a few times it caught the wires and scissored them taking the jackets off and shorting it. Fuse blew.

DesertStar

Post#3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:52 pm

I thought there was a plug on the inside(towards center console) of the seat "box"? If I remember correctly you could apply 12V to the unplugged connection that goes to the seat and move seat fore and aft whilst the wiring directly under the seat is for the seat heater ? Unless I have it backwards with respect to the seat motor and seat heater plug connections.

DesertStar

Post#4 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:12 pm

Here is photo showing wires from my seat. Seat controls are the wires on the lower right of the photo and go to a type of plug inside if I recall. If your are handy with electronics you should be able to determine which wire connection to apply 12v to control seat while it outside the vehicle. I used the trial and error method knowing brown wire connections are generally ground/earth.
Attachments
IMG_1438 3.JPEG

Post#5 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:50 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys
98 Europa G320 LWB

Post#6 » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:15 am

To follow up with this, with the nicer weather out, I decided to hop on a few G projects.

I removed the connector on the inboard side of the seat bottom and the fuse still blew. This tells me I have a short in the harness, not the seat.
The connector is 4 conductors with two brown (ground) wires and two hots. One is red with white stripe and one is red with yellow stripe. It's easy enough to just abandon the original harness and attach connector to new power source, but I'm curious about the two red wires. I couldn't locate a wiring diagram that was useful.
98 Europa G320 LWB

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”