Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

SST Turbo Setup

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
Geardhead80

SST Turbo Setup

Post#1 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:19 pm

Looking at 300GD LWB with the SST turbo kit. I have read mixed reviews on this setup. Should I avoid this truck or just plan to upgrade motor after this one melts? Does having this setup reduce the value of the rig at all? Not worried to turn some wrenches and already located an OM603 locally for a decent price.

inkblotz

Re: SST Turbo Setup

Post#2 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:28 am

Nope you should be fine. If it runs well it should last awhile. Though not as powerful or durable as the factory turbo motor. Having a back-up plan is always wise.

Classified

Post#3 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:34 pm

I would recomend making sure you have a fresh air intake, larger oil cooler and intercooler. Mine came without this and blew the head gasket after a jaunt down to the DMV. I did do the aforementioned and also managed to get a scoop roughed in. However, the temperatures are always higher than I feel comfortable with.
If you have a 5 or 6 speed it might run cooler, and it may just be due to the over heating.
I was prepaired to replace it with another 617 but another oportunity came along and I am going to go with a 605 and keep the 617 as a back up.
I would roll with it until the 603 is ready.

At least it what I am doing, but with a 605.

Here is the current setup. Intercooler has a fan under it pulling down onto the turbo, and the intake is a snorkel. (Both snorkel and intercooler are custom).
The original set up was a cone filter on the turbo and the STT "lunchbox".
Attachments
20220826_143047.jpg
If perfection was attainable, who would want it?
•'=='•

Ghia nut

Post#4 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:59 pm

If anyone wants to sell their SST exhaust turbo manifold I would be interested.
Brent
1986 W460 300GD
http://www.storytelleroverland.com

inkblotz

Post#5 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:11 pm

For clarification it's STT not SST.

Nice video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smE7PJMzz6c

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”