Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

92 G Trans lost all gears!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
autonovice

Re: 92 G Trans lost all gears!

Post#31 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:37 pm

Chris wrote:Always the drivers side bearing going first- Id like to know why that is.

Driver side axle is longer.

Mdan1

Post#32 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:09 am

My drivers side was bad too,cv went out etc. Runs only with center diff lock on.

AD463

Post#33 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:39 am

I don't know reasons of this failure but I would like to point some issues about this car.
My '92 G200 has 285k Km (177k Miles). I have got it 2.5 years ago for 7k euro after discovering in a plant where she was parked in 2009. In 2 years I have done 7k km replacing a lot of parts starting from shock absorbers, tires, breake oil , disc and shoes breakes, fuel pump, diff lock soft line and diff lock pump, ecc.
I checked damaged parts and they are dated 07/92 (date on blue seal) means that they are 27 years old. I think this could be a normal problem after 27 years of working w/o maintenance. On my VW T5 4motion I have replaced the right CV-Join after 60k Km).
Now I have found all components to repair the left side including a NOS W463 first version wheel hub (the difference is in the fixing screw of the disc breake), complete kit of seals and nuts for CV-Join (516 euro including shipping costs from Germany). I won't replace CV-Join because it is original and in very nice shape, only small scratches on the end of multispline shaft. But I will remove its to replace all seals, grease and to verify plays.
Concerning the loose hub nut, I don't think this could be the reason of the problem. I have good experience in vintage cars because I restore VW T1 and T2 imported from USA (I'm an active member of Thesamba forum) and old Citroen starting from cadavers and the first point normally I check is the play in all directions of the wheels. In the G play was verified immediately after the purchase and was perfect; balance of new tires is near 0.
In my opinion this is a defect of project because torque on left side is higher than right side. I saw this effect in the snow because I use my G to go on my alp refuge during winter. The left wheel turns before the right and I need to engage the diff lock. I haven't this problem on T5.
But, from my side, this is my first experience on MB cars and I have to admit they are really complicates and expencives. Original '60 NOS VW parts are cheaper...
I will update thread with more pics.

Chris

Post#34 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:22 am

So, you checked the bearing play 2.5 years/~7k km ago and it was OK.

Well that is enough time for things to get loose. And it would have to be super loose and driven like that through volcanic ash or some type of amazingly gritty substance to remove the hub splines to the point of spinning freely.

I have been professionally repairing /overhauling nothing but G axles for more than 20 years and this is the first failure of this type I have come across.

I have had the same thing happen to me in a 1962 VW bug, it’s hub was very loose for 40 years I think before it let go.

AD463

Post#35 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 am

Hello, I'm here again after few weeks.
During Christmas holidays I have received a used ( '96 model with few km) wheel hub but in the newer version.
Yersterday I had few hours to start the replacing of the wheel hub and the first thing is that the newr one is different from the original one. In the original one the multispline connection si only 10 mm but in the upgraded version is 25 mm. In my opinion, MB has received many reports from their dealers and then decided to upgrade the wheel hub encreasing the lenght of the connection.
DSC_0278rid.jpg
Attachments
DSC_0276rid.jpg
DSC_0279rid.jpg
DSC_0277rid.jpg

Chris

Post#36 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:09 am

The old hub originally had splines going the entire length of the hub, somehow it’s splines were all wiped clean off the hub, miraculously leaving only a 10mm long section of spline at the outer edge.

Strangest kind of G hub failure I have ever seen, seems like some kind of cruel joke.

fcozzi

Post#37 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 pm

I have the same problem my GE200 with 717439 gearbox lost the 2nd speed with no noise coming from the gearbox and all speeds goes good.

Anyone have an option?

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”