Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Coming out of the closet...

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
PNZWGN

Coming out of the closet...

Post#1 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:50 pm

After almost a year into my rolling restoration I've decided to post a few pics of my progress. Been too embarrassed of the sad state of her until now. Really just looking for some moral support I guess. I've spent almost every waking moment screwing with this thing despite a demanding job, newborn, four year old, wife, etc.
IMG_0487.JPG
IMG_0544.JPG

This G seemed to get a lot of jeers and sneers when it was put up for sale last year but it was the configuration I wanted and was all original. Biggest disappointment has of course been the rust. Will make a grown man cry.

Next week if weather holds I'll be taking the G down to British Auto Restorations here in my hometown. They specialize in British cars as well as SL's and they're interested in helping me with cutting all of the cancer out of this beast. It's one of the few things I have not tried to tackle myself. Then I'll be touching some spots with POR-15 and Line-X'ing the interior. Would love to remove the whole cab and media blast but I just can justify/afford it.

Will have to include additional pictures in my next post...

pr
Last edited by PNZWGN on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNZWGN

Re: Coming out of the closet...

Post#2 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Here is some of the cancer that I plan to start having addressed professionally next week...
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0530.JPG

Here is my progress with a lot of bolt on pieces, freshly media blasted...
IMG_0577.JPG

And back from powder coating...
IMG_0804.JPG
IMG_0802.JPG

Second batch of smaller parts and seat bases gets picked-up tomorrow and heads off to powder coating.

More to follow...

pr

PNZWGN

Post#3 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:08 pm

Here is the progress I've made on stripping the interior... I'd say about 90% finished. Some of the areas I just can't reach with my angle grinder.
IMG_0807.JPG

Here are tons of interior pieces cleaned, trimmed, painted, etc... just waiting to be installed.
IMG_0805.JPG

New to me AMG wheels cleaned, 3M'd and blacked out. I realize that wheels this big are controversial on a W460 but I love the way the look and there is no rubbing whatsoever. Plus I got a smoking deal on them...
IMG_0602.JPG
IMG_0603.JPG

Will officially media blast them and powder coat later on... just not a priority now.
IMG_0617.JPG

More to come...

pr
Last edited by PNZWGN on Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PNZWGN

Post#4 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Mechanically the truck is pretty sound and frame is good to. So far I've been able to accomplish the following in the past year:

-Wire brush undercarriage, cleaned and 3M'd
-Framed cleaned as best possible with body on
-Changed front and rear differential fluid with Amsoil 80W-90 with new drain and fill plugs
-Changed transfer case fluid with Amsoil 80W-90
-Changed manual transmission fluid with Amsoil ATF
-Flushed coolant
-New water pump and gasket
-New thermostat gasket
-New temperature sending unit
-Repaired/boiled-out/painted radiator
-Replaced upper radiator mount bushings
-Repaired/replaced throttle linkage
-New rear shocks with hardware
-Changed engine oil with Amsoil 15W-40 12 TBN Diesel with new oil filter and new drain plug
-Changed engine oil AGAIN with Delvac 15W-40... now I have a leaky motor
-Fuel filter(s) changed
-Ran diesel purge
-Adjusted clutch action
-Replaced lower transmission mount
-New stereo/speakers/antenna
-New instrumentation bulbs
-Repaired dash wiring
-New ignition ring
-New fuse panel cover
-New wiring harness bracket
-New battery
-New water pump and power steering pump belts
-New air filter
-New fuse panel cover
-New clutch master cylinder
-New clutch slave cylinder
-Rear drum brake cleaned and adjusted
-Replaced rear drum brake backing plugs
-New exhaust piping and muffler
-Bled differential locker fluid front and rear
-Cleaned and front and rear differential lockers with new gaskets
-Replaced/repaired interior dashboard and trim
-Cleaned-up all terminal groundings
-Repaired and repainted fender flares
-Repaired and repainted body trim
-Reparied and repainted all interior and trim pieces
-Greased all drive shafts
-Repaired/greased shifter assembly
-Replaced shifter linkage bushings and clips
-Replaced shifter mount seals
-Cleaned and rebuilt fuel sending unit
-Replaced window washer fluid reservoir, pump motor and check valve
-Replaced emergency brake cable grommets and clips
-Replaced front brake rotors, pads, and clips and cleaned-up calipers
-New set of 4 Factory AMG alloy wheels
-Replaced/repaired/repainted all turn signals and brake lights
-Replaced horns with Hella Super horns

I need to service the front hubs and get an alignment after I get done with the cancer treatments.
IMG_0616.JPG

I welcome any votes of confidence... it's been a hell of a journey. Stay tuned....

shochu

Post#5 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:24 pm

wow.. looks good..

i think the outcome will make those early sneers cry :lol:
it will be good for decades to come

really can't wait to see it put back together
congratulations on a tough job, done really well

schuhe

Post#6 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:13 pm

"...and now I have a leaky motor."

Yes, synthetic oil should be used only from the beginning of the engine's life. I hope it is not the rear main leaking(?).

You are doing a very thorough job. Nice work. Is the hard top a Schmude or Mercedes-Benz one piece? I had an early MB top on my White 1980 300GD Cabrio . It is heavy.

adrian cox

Post#7 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:18 pm

HATS OFF TO YOU PNZWGN YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR SELF
A JOB VERY WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diesel_jim

Post#8 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:53 pm

Good job there buddy. 8-) 8-)

Atl-Wagen

Post#9 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:33 am

What a project, it is amazing what fresh powder coat will do for a part. Parts back from powder coat might be better than parts in the mail. The 5 bar checker plate is a solid addition. I fabbed up some fender trim plates with some inspiration from Otiswesty. https://flic.kr/p/pvgLdL. Your kids have no idea how cool you really are.

PNZWGN

Post#10 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:40 am

Thanks... I just hope that if there is some other poor chap out there in the world in the same situation I'm in, and I'm sure there is, then he knows he's not alone. Sorting this G out (especially the body) can be overwhelming at times but thank God for Al Gore inventing the internet... that's all I can say.

Yes, the engine was great until I decided to run Amsoil in it... got sold I guess. Now it leaks around the oil pan seal underneath the fuel thing next to block (not sure what that is called on a diesel.) So, more towards the middle/front of the engine on the right hand side as you're looking at it. It's also started seeping a little from back of the head gasket. I've not been overly worried about it as I plan to do a swap next year... once the body and paint is right and behind me. Edit: engine still runs fine, just smokes more with the Delvac.

The cab is a four piece, five if you count the rear hatch. And for sale. Needs some minor rust removal and fresh paint. I have not been able to find any part numbers on it but what is interesting is it is painted in the same color as the inner fenders, frame, etc. That blueish/grey color... makes me thing it was a factory option at what time. I'm sure there is someone that knows for sure.

pr

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”