Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

My BGSG project

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
AmatoBGSG

Re: My BGSG project

Post#201 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:42 am

G power wrote:I dug out that broken original seal it is 3mm thick, yes surprisingly 3.0mm.now I am thinking without it is there really no difference? And just the t515 sealer which is going to be a fraction on1/10 of mm is enough.

I was just not sure if I needed a gasket between the clutch slave and the bell housing in order to give some clearance between the rod and the clutch pressure plate. But apparently not (thx Vadim)! I guess the only reason to add a gasket is if there is a concern about getting water into the bell housing at the slave/housing interface?!?
1980 300GD BGS

AmatoBGSG

Post#202 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:49 am

G power wrote:Yes my gasket broke and I am trying to place the slave master back and there is no way to fit my hand while the transmission is mounted on the car .I hope yours is still out.

Totally! I attempted to get a new slave on without moving the transmission a couple of months ago. It was so frustrating that I decided to just pull the transmission and take care of my failing synchro ring so I could properly replace the slave (and check the lines). What a pain in the arse!

However, next time I replace the slave, I'll totally 1) unscrew and set aside the exhaust (also a pain, but doable), 2) unscrew the transmission mount and 3) slightly lower the transmission. Basically something Chris or someone else suggested some time ago!
1980 300GD BGS

vadimivanovich

Post#203 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:07 am

Weird, I don't remember this being so hard. I replaced my slave on a Treffen years ago when it failed after 2 days of off-road adventure. Fortunately, I had one packed & ready to swap in. What a stroke of luck that was! I do remember the wrench needing to be shorter than what I had - someone lent me a suitable one.

Well, good to be aware of!
"The way you think is the way you live"

G power

Post#204 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:29 am

I will be reattempting to do this tonight along with the clutch line wish me luck.
Necessity is the mother of inventions.

vadimivanovich

Post#205 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:43 am

The clutch line at the slave is easy enough. The other end was "not fun". I think the best access is from the driver's wheel well where the line goes through the chassis securing tab. It's a no-go from the engine compartment if the engine is in.

AmatoBGSG

Post#206 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:04 pm

G power wrote:I will be reattempting to do this tonight along with the clutch line wish me luck.

Did this yesterday. That's even a hassle with the tranny out! Best for me was lying under the G, with my left arm coming in through the wheel well, and my right coming at it from the underside. Good luck!!!
1980 300GD BGS

G power

Post#207 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:12 pm

I need more than luck I am a big guy.
Necessity is the mother of inventions.

AmatoBGSG

Post#208 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am

OK! Everything is cleaned up, greased, and ready to be installed. Including some grinding and painting of the crossmember/support and the frame. The Dog is ready to go for a ride too!
tmp.jpg

I'm just deciding what to do about the bell housing gasket. Source one (prt # 460-251-12-80) for $15 and wait a week, make one from paper/fiber gasket material sheet, or liquid gasket maker? Any advise?
IMG_4489.JPG

BTW - Yesterday I broke down and bought a beefy 1/2" impact driver. I wish I would have done that a year ago! Will be sooo nice for breaking free rusty bolts as well and bolting the bell to the clutch housing!
1980 300GD BGS

vadimivanovich

Post#209 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 am

Oh yes, impact driver's are a God-send.

I use Loctite 515 on flanges like that. It never hardens so disassembly is easy, but it's stiff enough not to leak. Excellent stuff. Buy on Amazon.

PNZWGN

Post#210 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Man we are on the exact same flight path. Nice work.

Did you ever get a definitive answer about the gasket behind the slave cylinder and if so what thickness?

Let me know what worked for you... hope to be bolting up my new to me slave to my new to me iron box tomorrow or Friday... thanks!
Parker (turbo/diesel)

1984 460.312 PNZWGN
2000 202.024 Ancient Benz
2011 463.261 (sold)
2017 205.049 SCHÖN
2019 CRF250F
2012 CRF110F

wherever I may roam...

@pnzwgn: https://www.instagram.com/pnzwgn/

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”