Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Heater Valve

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
aircruiser

Heater Valve

Post#1 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:48 pm

I am wondering if my heater valve cable should be run through the firewall below the battery tray. I think the valve is in the proper place now and in the correct direction but the cable needs to mate to the valve from below?
Attachments
heater valve.jpg

aircruiser

Re: Heater Valve

Post#2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:22 pm

OK, in the white Wolf photo below(thanks Guido!), the routing is clear. I do have the hole below also. My truck was a AC 280ge converted to 617a, I suppose I need to tear the entire dash apart to reroute my cable.
Attachments
heater cable.jpg
heater cable.jpg (51.4 KiB) Viewed 492 times

DesertStar

Post#3 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:03 pm

I do not think "tearing out the dash" is needed. I bet you can pull cable back inside through firewall and feed back in lower hole...may need to remove glovebox out to better map things out and provide a little wiggle room.

So you at least have this positive reinforcement going forth.

DesertStar

Post#4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Also here are a couple photos to see what you are in for....
courtesy of "Atl-Wagen" https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipP ... RaYWR4NFh3

And on the bottom here courtesy of HelHans
http://www.hehlhans.de/tipp98-10.htm

Hop to it.

aircruiser

Post#5 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:32 am

Thanks Mike!

EHKO

Post#6 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:21 pm

aircruiser wrote:OK, in the white Wolf photo below(thanks Guido!), the routing is clear. I do have the hole below also. My truck was a AC 280ge converted to 617a, I suppose I need to tear the entire dash apart to reroute my cable.

Too funny! I used this exact same photo to figure out the routing on my cable too.

PNZWGN

Post#7 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm in the middle of replacing the heater core, resistor and blower I'm G right now. Having just pulled everything out today I can say that while I don't think you have to pull the whole lower dash out a good compromise is taking the center console out. You should be able to feed the wire into the slider easy enough with the center console out. Maybe even by just popping out the right hand slider cover but I'm thinking the center console will make it much easier and worth the four bolts it takes to remove.

IMG_0268.JPG

Also, when you feed the cable through the fire wall make sure you seal it with a grommet or something. I was chasing a small coolant leak in the passenger's floorboard that would show up form time to time. Thought it was maybe the heater core or hoses. Turned out be the valve on the fire wall is leaking ever so slightly and coolant would run down the slider cable into the cab and then drip onto the passenger floorboard. You probably know all of this but just take the time seal that hole tight with something.

As for me... my whole dash is out. Upper and lower going to powder coating this week since they were out anyway and because of peer pressure from a certain 280GE owner in Atlanta.

IMG_0286.JPG
"wherever I may roam..." in a 300GD and G550

PNZWGN Mk II build thread: https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

vadimivanovich

Post#8 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:56 pm

Oh yea... powder baby...

Gimmie some puff-daddy pink powder coat!

Or maybe not. Nice work as usual P. How well do the new parts match up to the old?
"The way you think is the way you live"

PNZWGN

Post#9 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:37 am

Parts appear to be fine. The blower motor is Behr and the heater core is something I've never heard of but its an exact duplicate and appears to fit fine. I have everything apart being cleaned. Thanks again for the huge hook-up on this...

Motor housing is microscopically clean with new motor mounted thanks to ATl-wagens great write-up.

IMG_0300.JPG

As for the metal dash board color, I don't want to hijack this thread but let's make things interesting...
"wherever I may roam..." in a 300GD and G550

PNZWGN Mk II build thread: https://clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5605

aircruiser

Post#10 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for all of the good tips and inspiration. There are those that have, those that will and most importantly those who are going through the process currently. I was putting off replacing my fan resistor but now I'm inspired by everyone's great work.

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”