Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

five speed noise was really release bearing - all these years!

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
schuhe

five speed noise was really release bearing - all these years!

Post#1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:30 pm

My engine rebuild project has gone well. Drove home via back roads from Grants Pass to Olympia, WA earlier this week - 500 plus miles. Very minor issues.

Along with very improved performance noted already, even with turbo boost turned down, I am impressed. DB should have used the 617a turbo engines from day one in the G.

The other great side effect of the transplant process, and all new clutch parts, is that the noise I had been reporting for years as a likely transmission issue, turned out to be the wrong throw-out bearing that was wearing out.

The bearing was smaller and thinner than a stock G bearing. When holding and spinning in my hand, I could actually reproduce the same rattle I had been hearing for hears.

Now the clutch is smoother and there is no rattle at idle when clutch is up and I am parked at a stop light, for example. Worth every bit of the 258$ for the MB release bearing from Mercedes. : )

inkblotz

Re: five speed noise was really release bearing - all these years!

Post#2 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:15 pm

Tom,
Post some photos. Need some new eye candy.

M

G Nome

Post#3 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:31 pm

Exciting Tom.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

McBride

Post#4 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Nice! I love it when nice things like that happen.

Chris

Post#5 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:15 pm

MBZ has 2 different release bearings for this application, one has top and bottom mating surfaces ~3mm further away than the other, the shorter one goes to pressure plates supplied with a ring crimped around the diaphragm spring's finger tips, the tall release bearing goes to pressure plates without this ring (release bearing itself comes in contact with the tips of the spring's fingers).

I recently ordered 2 pressure plates for 460 300GD from MBZ (skyland), the first one that arrived in September had no ring, the second one that arrived in November had a ring, both of these pressure plates were made by Sachs with the same MBZ part number stamped on them!

These small details with sometimes large repercussions require lots of experience and some 'secret' knowledge to get things correct with these old MBZs, Im glad your parts all work well with each other Tom.

Photos courtesy of eurotruck website, just to illustrate what the 'ring' is.
Attachments
pressure plate without ring.jpg
pressure plate with ring.jpg
pressure plate with ring.jpg (39.22 KiB) Viewed 373 times
IG: #traildustrestoration

Fernando BR

Post#6 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:58 am

Part number of the correct bearing?
So you do have 50% of chance of a good pressure plate...or buying sacks oem you will get the good version.?

schuhe

Post#7 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:06 am

Very good information.

The smaller (lower profile) release bearing matched with the second from the top clutch above (that came out of my G at least) is 05 3151 149 001.

The bearing used for the clutch at the top, it is significantly heavier and thicker, to make up for the lack of the compression surface/ring in the lower clutch version. However, the overall heft of the larger release bearing seems more durable.

schuhe

Post#8 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:11 am

Mark,

Yes, some photos to come. My new custom radiator will arrive today, parts for leaking down tube (grrr!) on Monday, new MB radiator hoses Monday, new air cleaner tubing for installation of the Donaldson air cleaner system on Monday, new exhaust system Tuesday, and R/R oil return down tube o rings from the turbo on Wednesday. So, I will have photos by next weekend - with a little luck.

Tom

inkblotz

Post#9 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Tom, you're retired now. You can spread that out over a couple of weeks.

schuhe

Post#10 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:02 pm

: ) Yes, it is a strange feeling not to be working or to wake in the middle of the night and wonder if I had addressed this or that on a given case.

But, within less than a week, I have a list that is even longer than TJ's (my wife's) list of expectations. No deadlines!!

Tom

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”