Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Europa G500 Steering lock - Worst Day Ever

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
paulunm

Re: Europa G500 Steering lock - Worst Day Ever

Post#31 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:21 pm

No, don’t turn the wheel…

See the pin inside the bottom part of the lock in your pic? That’s what you need to retract. So you’d drill as far toward the end as possible.

Otiswesty

Post#32 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:40 pm

It sounds like the ignition switch and not the steering lock. You need to replace the ignition switch most likely unless it is just a badly worn key. Good to do the steering lock at the same time.
461.213, 463.241

w123_sedan_guy

Post#33 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:47 am

The pictures still link in this thread. They might give you a better idea of what's being discussed.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17639&p=167718&hilit=lock#p167718
- Kyle

hupomone

Post#34 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:25 am

OK, it seems the steering lock may have already been disabled by a previous owner. I will verify this weekend. Is it possible to get the tumbler out with out being able to move the key to position 1 or do I need to get a new lock assembly and tumbler for a full replacement?

Kyle - that link is very helpful. Thanks
2000 Europa G500

AlanMcR

Post#35 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:50 am

You have the other common problem: the lock cylinder is jammed. The good news is that the mechanism shown in the above picture can easily be removed from the car for repair or replacement. Pull the cluster, remove the lower panel (don't break the thin wire), undo the clamp and out it comes.

You can remove the switch at the back and turn it manually. As long as the right key is in the sensor ring, the car will start and run.
...Alan

gmaschine

Post#36 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:22 am

You can easily tell if your steering lock is disabled by looking at the condition of the metal button on the ignition lock. There are several methods to disable it such as grinding it down, epoxy and drilling.

To avoid any kind of ignition failure in the future. I would advise to replace the ignition lock/disable the steering lock, and get a new tumbler. Sometimes it will give you a warning when its about to go by letting you off the hook but if that ever happens, change it out immediately. You can replace everything without removing the steering wheel and be careful of the IR ring wire and to not damage the wood trim.

Also you should avoid using heavy keychains or items which prematurely wear out these already worn components such as the key itself and proactively using graphite powder to help lubricate the lock cylinder.

hupomone

Post#37 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:26 pm

thanks everyone. I will give this a go this weekend and get a new steering lock and tumbler ordered.

2 things - the IR ring just pry's out?
- the cluster pulls out just like a W124, right?
2000 Europa G500

AlanMcR

Post#38 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:50 pm

The cluster just pulls out. Try hooks just above the buttons on the right and left.
That is an RF ring. YIt is pretty loosely installed. Do not break the wire! It goes down to the security module that is between your legs and the steering column.
...Alan

paulunm

Post#39 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 pm

RF ring does not pry out, you unscrew it out. Gently.

hupomone

Post#40 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:43 am

Ok, I got it out!

Not too bad but not very fun either.

The PO immobilized the steering lock but the unit still failed in another wat like Chris B has previously said. I was able to get the tumbler out with some tapping once it was out and on the bench. I cleaned it up with a file on the protruding wafers lubed it up and reinstalled in a new and immobilized Steering lock assembly. I will be ordering a tumbler right away.

Thanks for all the help. Now on to the vibration issue.
2000 Europa G500

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”