Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

lockers disengaging

Tech forum for DIY, repairs, restoration, problems, questions, etc... Post here get answers!
dcurbet

lockers disengaging

Post#1 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:03 pm

92 350gdt - lockers engaging quickly and working fine for about 30 seconds to 1 min and then the red light goes out and it disengages on its own... any suggestions what may be at fault?

dcurbet

Re: lockers disengaging

Post#2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:52 pm

doing some reading, its vacuum to hydraulic - so good vacuum is first suspect?
is transfer vacuum controlled only? if that comes off then obviously the rest turns off.

AlanMcR

Post#3 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:59 pm

Physical switches or momentary push buttons? The red lights are only set and cleared by the buttons presence of vacuum, or success or lockup doesn't enter into the on/off status of the red lights.
...Alan

dcurbet

Post#4 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:05 am

i see.
Its buttons. It feels like its engaging, steering wheel gets really heavy and it actually gets up the slope (grassy mud).
I will check vaccuum at the shift cyl housing on transfer case per the http://fourbyfourclub.com/Manuals/W463249DiffLocks.pdf

inkblotz

Post#5 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:59 am

That PDF is showing a newer gas G. Diesel set up is a little different as there is no electric pump.

dcurbet

Post#6 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:04 am

yes i was suspecting that no vacuum pump may be present - i will still check all the vacuum lines hopefully that leads me somewhere

AlanMcR

Post#7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:28 am

A common fault for that age is that the center locker vacuum actuator tears. That leaks enough vacuum that the center opens up, and then as it tears further, the others get too little vacuum to hold. I'm in that situation now.
That affects the yellow light, not the red light.
The field fix for this is to pull the connector off of the single relay near the wiper motor. This keeps the vacuum from getting to the torn part, allowing the other lockers to work.
...Alan

dcurbet

Post#8 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:20 am

Where s the actuator? Replaceable ?

AlanMcR

Post#9 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:39 am

Yes it is replaceable. I'll document that as I get to it.
...Alan

dcurbet

Post#10 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 am

Great thx, If you have a part number please post it?
certainly would like to have it working

Return to “G Wagen Technical Forum”