Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post your parts for sale, for trade, for free, or wanted ads here
Dubai_wagon
Posts: 265

Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 pm

Hi folks..

Is there any universal type of instrument cluster gauge that can fit in 230GE and looks similar or nicer to the OEM part?


Regards

blueg
Posts: 1360

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 am

VDO and sun have some multis that are close to fit. Need some extra shimming with rubber bezel. There are a few places that repair the instruments if you have but not working or can find used.
Peach parts has some good alternatives for tach in diesels.
70's and early 80's VW and Porsche gages were very close.

User avatar
vadimivanovich
Posts: 6682

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#3 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:46 am

The multi-gauge? Speedometer? Tachometer? Do you want something nicer or are you trying to replace a missing unit?
"The way you think is the way you live"

blueg
Posts: 1360

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#4 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 am

Mohammed, It slipped my memory who you were.
I've seen your stable. Just take some from your least liked truck.

Dubai_wagon
Posts: 265

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#5 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:17 pm

blueg wrote:VDO and sun have some multis that are close to fit. Need some extra shimming with rubber bezel. There are a few places that repair the instruments if you have but not working or can find used.
Peach parts has some good alternatives for tach in diesels.
70's and early 80's VW and Porsche gages were very close.

Thanks.. I will try to search in peach parts..but I'm referring to the multi gauge part

Dubai_wagon
Posts: 265

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#6 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:19 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:The multi-gauge? Speedometer? Tachometer? Do you want something nicer or are you trying to replace a missing unit?

It's the multi gauge part.
And to be honest.. it's missing in my car and at the same time I'm in contact in private msg with a member here to buy one used unit, so I can still lòok for a nicer look too if it's available.

Dubai_wagon
Posts: 265

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#7 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:21 pm

blueg wrote:Mohammed, It slipped my memory who you were.
I've seen your stable. Just take some from your least liked truck.

Hi blueG.. actually thus is my least liked truck in my garage which I'm trying to rebuild and make it as good as my other G's ...

blueg
Posts: 1360

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#8 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Is it in G Wagen? What year? Maybe post a picture of your cluster. Not sure but didn't the wagons start to use the bigger screen cluster gages like in the sedans in late 90's?
I have 85 with speedo/odo in one housing, temp/amp/fuel/glow plug in a multi. tach smaller and separate. All these in a centre console on the dash.
Was joking about cannibalizing one of your trucks. You have had some very classy rides.
Are you talking about the pickup with the wrap around brush guard?

Dubai_wagon
Posts: 265

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#9 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:16 pm

blueg wrote:Is it in G Wagen? What year? Maybe post a picture of your cluster. Not sure but didn't the wagons start to use the bigger screen cluster gages like in the sedans in late 90's?
I have 85 with speedo/odo in one housing, temp/amp/fuel/glow plug in a multi. tach smaller and separate. All these in a centre console on the dash.
Was joking about cannibalizing one of your trucks. You have had some very classy rides.
Are you talking about the pickup with the wrap around brush guard?

Hi again..

It's a 230GE that I recently got it and plan to make it up to my other G's status :)

Attached below is the missing multi-gauge ( temp,amp,fuel... )

IMG-20180811-WA0010.jpg


IMG-20180811-WA0009.jpg


In addition I have another thread where I'm looking for the ECU to get the engine start and start the mechanical fixing.. (( still in two minds.. spend more in fixing.. or go for an engine swap))

blueg
Posts: 1360

Re: Instrument cluster for w460 230GE

Post#10 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 am

I'm used to the gages being opposite what you have because of RHD. Same gages though. If you have the old gage they can be repaired as I understand.
The ECU should apply to many models with same engine I would hope. Sometimes and especially here in Canada as soon as you mention G Wagen the parts jobbers eyes glaze over and you lose his attention all together.
I'm pretty sure some models of 80's VW had the same multimeter. Being a gasser it would be easier to find if that is so,

Return to “G Parts FS/FT/WTB”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aigroup, cal_w460, Ghia nut, joef, mickygee, pierre repairs and 8 guests