Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

WTB MPH Speedometer-Face Plate W463

Post your parts for sale, for trade, for free, or wanted ads here
autonovice

Re: WTB MPH Speedometer-Face Plate W463

Post#11 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm

So I got my hand on a "proper" & new 463 speedo/odom. The reason: I was annoyed w/ the 124 speedo I have which the RI previously swapped. The 124 one, at 20mph, the needle barely moves.

I need to take the new 463 speedo apart to reset to the correct odom as it sits at 0000001. I will also take apart the old 124 speedo and try to doc the gears diff. This way, I can take any 124 odom and convert to the proper 463. I am gun shy taking my new speedo apart w/o any instruction. Would help if someone has any.

Someone posted this link here to purchase proper plastic gears once I have figured out the gears needed: http://www.odometergears.com/products/M ... ometer/117

Next step is to have my new 463 speedo face dial reproduces. This is when I called Hartmut as well as North Hollywood Speedo. They all said the same. The repro wont last and fade quickly. I then looked for plasma face dials. This is the only one that allows you to upload your scanned custom face dials: https://xtuners.com/shop/Plasma-dials-E ... /W124-W201 Also with my eyesight gone bad as well as the dim lit instrument lights, the plasma seems a great solution to brighten up the cockpit instrument.

I installed my new 463 speedo as is .... this past Dec ... my engine took on water ... so now this is on hold until I upgrade my engine to 606 first.

If you are willing to take on this project w/ me to make aftermarket dials as well figure out a formula to convert a 124 speedo to 463 w regearing, lmk. My only sticky point is I am only willing to let a pro open up my new speedo as this is a rare item.

Any my speedo has a banana plug in the back and not a cable type. I am sure there are fine differences between both versions but I am sure the plastic gearings inside are the same.

dcurbet

Post#12 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:03 pm

i think a new faceplate is the cheapest way to go - and i m definitely in for a few faceplates. PM sent.

Maestro

Post#13 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:25 pm

Me2!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."

G Nome

Post#14 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:59 am

I think the trick is to get the pointer off and back on in the same location if you are going to replace the face.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

autonovice

Post#15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 pm

G Nome wrote:I think the trick is to get the pointer off and back on in the same location if you are going to replace the face.

Check out steps 6 &7 : https://xtuners.com/shop/blog-headlines ... asma-dials
Is this what you are talking about?

Step 6:
Now let's move to the speedometer needle. First move it over the rest pin. W124 gauge clusters have a mark for the speedometer needle. The needle must stop on this mark every time. This is where you have to install the needle later. This how to reinstall the needle -----> After you install it, push it back to 180 km/h and let it go all the way down. If it stops on the mark , the correct speed will be shown. If it does not stop there, pull the needle out, reinstall it on a different position and try again. You will feel when the position is right. IMPORTANT - the gauges need to be upright during the reinstall of the speedometer needle.
W124-Plasma-dials-installation-7.jpg

W124-Plasma-dials-installation-8.jpg

Step 7:
Pull the needle out with 2 tea spoons.
W124-Plasma-dials-installation-9.jpg

G Nome

Post#16 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Yes. Exactly.
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

Fing

Post#17 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:24 pm

dcurbet wrote:i think a new faceplate is the cheapest way to go - and i m definitely in for a few faceplates. PM sent.

^^^ I agree with this statement! ^^^ :mrgreen:

Otiswesty

Post#18 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 pm

New face plates are a nice idea. I am sure there are a number of sedan units that have the same hole pattern and could be used as base. Reprinting a few would probably be right up Hartmut's alley.
He has previously stenciled MPH, MILES and additional numbers on a VW T2 speedo for me a few years ago.
Here is how it came out, still looks great
Attachments
BusSpeedo.jpg
461.213, 463.241

autonovice

Post#19 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:03 pm

here is my new 463 speedo i 've been talking about.
It doesnt look like any of the prev posted face dials.

I will try to get this scanned and hopefully reproduce.

463 speedo ...
463 speedo.jpg

my old sedan speedo that my prev RI swapped into my G ...
sedan speedo.jpg

banana plug for electronic speedo connection ...
banana speedo connection.jpg

Otiswesty

Post#20 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 pm

461.213, 463.241

Return to “G Parts FS/FT/WTB”