Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

warning about multiple fraudsters contacting site members

Post your parts for sale, for trade, for free, or wanted ads here
Gelande

warning about multiple fraudsters contacting site members

Post#1 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:58 pm

Warning that multiple fraudsters and phishers are contacting members of the site especially on the classifieds section via email and phone numbers. Most recent cases involve items for sale or wanted but mostly items wanted where fraudsters act as members of the site or become members temporary and then reach out to actual members stating that they have what someone is looking for and offering to sell the item. Please triple verify, including making sure you know who you are dealing with, talk on the phone, ask for other verifications, etc. before sending any funds. Especially thru paypal as a friend or zelle as these have limited or no recourse to get funds returned.

SONNEMANN

Re: warning about multiple fraudsters contacting site members

Post#2 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:52 pm

I FULLY AGREE AND SUPPORT.
SO THEY TRIED TO CONTACT ME.
YOU NEED TO BUY FROM TRUSTED PEOPLE HERE.
BE VERY CAREFUL!

AlanMcR

Post#3 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:26 pm

Please PM the mods with any fishy behavior.
...Alan

gmaschine

Post#4 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:57 am

Gelandelocks "Allen" has been reaching out to G owners for parts, etc. Taking payment and not sending parts as usual. He has been removed from some G parts sales groups. Be wary of random messages or replies to your posts on social media, its just typical phishing behavior

e9coupe

Post#5 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:32 am

They've been hitting all the car forums, like mine, and I manually activate new accounts and they got past a couple times. Between me being more vigilant and the members paying attention and reporting suspicious behavior they've left my forum. If you make it hard enough for them they'll just move on to other forums that are easier.

Their scheme is to find someone who is looking for a part, then they go out on the internet and find a photo or photos of the same part and send them to you as if it's theirs, then they take your money and run. If you're really concerned about a transaction and you have good communication with the seller you could ask them to take a photo of the part with your username on a piece of paper next to it. It's not fool proof but usually causes the transaction to go one direction or the other.
Dan
Rocklin, CA
2000 G500 Europa
1979 280GE LWB (om617a swap)

Canyon

Post#6 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:44 am

They got me. Live and learn!

taubij

Post#7 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 pm

They got me also, but i found it.

in short: I was contacted by someone (from Austria) who would like to sell me a front door that I want to buy. It wasn't on this forum. Because I trust him, I pay him via pay pal. After that there was no response. Luckily I had his phone number. I find his ads selling more parts.
I also speak German, I arrange to pick up one other part in person. Then I drive to him, drive 220 miles, accompanied by a warrant police and we close the story, I get my money back + all additional cost, police costs ...

Gelande

Post#8 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:14 am

great work! thanks for sharing this

be vigilant folks!

Return to “G Parts FS/FT/WTB”