Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 LED tail lights

Any post where the initial author's intention is share information pertaining to parts specific to the G-klasse. This includes information about the parts needed for a certain repair job, or how to find the parts (different suppliers, etc).
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
grazza

W460 LED tail lights

Post#1 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:41 am

I enjoy tinkering with stuff like this, a bit crazy perhaps.

Instead of fitting some of the large variety of LED replacement bulbs now available, I decided to use LED arrays. This gives a good light output and more complete coverage, much like the lighting on many OEM lights these days.
I also was not keen on fitting the later W463 lights.

Video:
http://youtu.be/_s70CXD3WKU

The LED's obvioulsly look bright in the dark but they are also very effective in daylight. Not always the case with LED bulbs.

The arrays (red, yellow and white) were hot-melt glued to the lenses. They are wired original incandescent bulbs so are easily removed or replaced. The bulbs had their glass guts smashed out and I soldered in the wires before filling with more hot-melt glue to insulate form something to grab on, to fit/remove to their sockets.
The red array was a bit more involved as I had to wire both brake (bright) and night light(less bright) so to do this I soldered on tha back of the array a 3W 24 ohm resistor and a couple of recifier diodes (1N4004) to isolate the current from each other (without the diodes the night light would cause the 3rd brake light to turn on)

The arrays were sourced by looking for "SMD 48 LED Car" on fleabay. Pretty cheap and SMD leds are generally low power and reliable.

Anyway I will see how they hold up with another summer season of offroad antics...

cheers,
-Graham
Last edited by grazza on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

needamerc

Re: W460 LED tail lights

Post#2 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:23 am

Nice! Can you show us behind the lenses?
Eddie.

inkblotz

Post#3 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:50 am

Grazza, Thats excellent. You have got to put together a photo DIY of the procedure.

Mark

hus55

Post#4 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:13 am

grazza this is great !

please give info of where to buy these, and how to fit them.

rgds hus

just read the rest of the topic..

this is not for the novice..

G Nome

Post#5 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 am

Looks awesome!

Thank you for sharing.

offroad-world

Post#6 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:59 am

woow , impressive .

mfg. guido .

grazza

Post#7 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Some more pictures.
Its not the tidiest job, could look a lot neater.

I am also tempted to make the arrays a bit more rugged by masking off the actual LEDs with some tape strips on the front, removing the double-sided tape from the back and then liberally spraying them front and back with some clear epoxy. To keep out moisture and dust from the arrays.
They will probably need to be unglue'ed now and again to brush out dust. I dont find these lights very dust proof.

Note to be careful when removing the glass from the bulbs, prior to soldering some wires where thbe filaments were. I just crushed them with some big pliers in a bag to catch all the glass. Meybe someone makes bayonet connectors without having to do this. I dont know.

Here are the parts with the eBay descriptions. All prices $AU (slightly more than $US)

Red LED array:
$2.40 each "Red Car Interior Light Panel 48 LED SMD + T10 Dome BA9s Adapters"

White LED array:
$5.98 each "White 1210 SMD 48 LED Car Interior Dome Light Panel w T10 BA9S Adapter"

Yellow/orange LED array:
$6.70 each "Yellow 1210 3528 SMD 48 LED Dome Light Lamp w T10"

Resistors:
$1.18 "3w Watt 24 Ohm 24 R Metal Film Resistor (10 Pcs)"

Diodes:
$3.00 "1N4004 Rectifier Diode 1A 400V DO41 (25 Pack)"

Not a hard job at all, just need a soldering iron, some heat shrink tubing and a hot melt glue gun.

Dude

Post#8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:26 am

Honestly one of the nicest upgrades I've seen. Every time I think about making changes to my own truck, I stop and consider what would it take to bring it back to stock. This fits the bill perfectly.

Improves performance while maintaining the stock look, completely reversible, and inexpensive. I love it.

diesel_jim

Post#9 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:39 am

Nice job Graham.

Suppatime

Post#10 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:09 am

Great work! I might consider doing this to my Canadian Army tails if I decide to keep them...

Return to “Info: How to locate and purchase parts for your Gwagen”