Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

How to get your own parts in US and Canada

Any post where the initial author's intention is share information pertaining to parts specific to the G-klasse. This includes information about the parts needed for a certain repair job, or how to find the parts (different suppliers, etc).
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Gelande

How to get your own parts in US and Canada

Post#1 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:08 am

Folks

The dykes have re-opened on most G parts for US and Canada customers. You can now go directly to you MB parts desk at the local dealer and request that they order parts for you. However, you cannot expect them to look up your parts because they often do not have access to that EPC area (if your G is older than 2002). Dealers in big cities may, or where there is a large amount of other gray market mercedes from the 80s. But don't expect that.

What you need to do is:

Go to the EPC, either thru Star Tek or neoriginal.ru

Use your VIN to find the parts you need. Note any variations in part numbers. IF there are two or three numbers, write them all down and bring them all with you to the parts desk at MB.

Get a copy of your title, which proves you have the car, where you are located.

Bring copy of title just in case any parts are "Blocked from import to NA". Parts desk can make a request to have them "released" but must submit the copy of your VIN number on the title document in order to do so.

If a part comes up as "NLA" that means it is either currently not in stock in Europe, or it is no longer made. Some parts may come up as NLA for a period of time and then revert back to "available" or "Blocked" This is because many parts of the G are not actually made by Mercedes or Steyr, they are made by other businesses, and in batches.
If the batch is depleted before MB or Steyr so chooses to make another batch...it will remain "NLA". Sometimes there are 45 parts sitting there with dust on them forever, and then suddenly some Military contract buys em all out.... well that part might not get made again for a while, especially if for a 460/461.

Parts prices constantly are changing. Don't be suprised if you get the same part four months apart for totally different pricing.

Bonus for dealing with the dealer, all the shipping is free....and your returns are free....yes even for a giant windshield or door....FedEx'd for free and the insurance is also on them!

you can find the EPC here online at any time: Use Google translate toolbar to go from Russian to English, its easy
[url]
http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb[/url]

The G series is the second choice listed as Внедорожный а/м
This is "cross country vehicle" or G Klasse

It takes you to the G section which is at:

http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/mb/model__2

Gelande

Re: How to get your own parts in US and Canada

Post#2 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:11 am

OK more on this...

If this should fail, where your dealer can't source something special, you can ask them, or call yourself to Irvine to the Classic Center. There is a contact there named Thomas and if you email him the part numbers he will reply back with a price and availability quote. There will be a shipping charge from Irvine to your location unless you can go there in person to pick up your part(s).

Mercedes-Benz Classic Center

All this is public info available to you on the web right here....
[url]
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/enthusias ... r#module-3[/url]

1-866-MB-CLASSIC(1-866-622-5277)
8:00a.m.-4:00p.m. PST, Monday through Friday
9 Whatney, Irvine, California 92618
Tel:(949)598-4850

Gelande

Post#3 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:26 am

And here are two more options, which I share just because they have EPC on their retail sites with G 463 parts and prices right at your finger tips, even for some rare models (G270cdi parts list shown at link below with prices)

Mercedes Benz of South Atlanta, GA
[url]
http://www.mbpartsworld.com/productSear ... earchTerm=[/url]

Mercedes Benz of Napersville, IL has some really good prices, sometimes their retail price with discount for online purchase is even cheaper than Mercedes dealer wholesale!

www.parts.com is the host but the actual link to the G parts is:

https://www.parts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=store.MakeSearch&VID=189147&MakeID=67&Make=Mercedes-Benz&ModelYear=2002&MODEL=G500&Engine=V8-5.0-GAS

Gelande

Post#4 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:38 am

Ok last but not least you can also contact Magna Steyr directly. I have ONLY called this contact in the biggest of parts emergencies. Note that any parts from Steyr direct will be very expensive, as will the shipping. Don't bother them just to test the waters or get price comparisons. This is ONLY FOR USE IN EMERGENCY PART NEED SITUATIONS

After Sales / VAE
MAGNA STEYR Fahrzeugtechnik AG & Co KG
Liebenauer Hauptstrasse 317, A-8041 Graz, Austria
Phone: +43/316/404-3421
Fax: +43/316/404-2249

Winston

Post#5 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Mike, thanks for posting all this information. I was not aware of the dealership in IL having EPC but I had seen that G270cdi on mbpartsworld (it happens to have the same blower switch as a 2000 G500). Does that imply that there is a G270cdi roaming the US highways somewhere?

G Nome

Post#6 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Thanks Mike.

I have had very good service from South Atlanta even when I got the wrong part.

I would use them again.

Kent

vadimivanovich

Post#7 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:35 pm

a golden set of resources - thank you Mike. I hope I don't need to use them very much though :)

Eisenhart

Post#8 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:47 pm

This is seriously awesome info. Thanks Mike!

I bought a bunch of 'blocked from import' items for my non-usa w460 Kasten from here mbpartscenter.com
I simply faxed them a copy of my California registration.

mbpartscenter.com,
4725 N Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, Arizona, 85251
USA
844-289-0177
parts@mbpartscenter.com

Gelande

Post#9 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Yes E... Otiswesty... This is only for original parts, not military parts and definitely not 461 special parts.

But it is for all 1979-89 460 parts and 1990-2000 463 parts.

If you have a 1979-1981 G you folks need to realize that the special parts on your car that were replaced in 1981 are either no longer made at all, or very little left globally. This would include early t-case specific parts, early driveshafts with 6bolts, early steering rods, early steering knuckles, early kingpin sets and shims....some other minor stuff that is specific to just these early model years.

gerryvz

Post#10 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:04 pm

By far, the best parts prices are going to be found at the following places:

MB of Gainesville FL (you have to call them though) - low prices and free shipping

MB of Asheville: http://www.oediscountparts.com/parts/in ... eid=215242
(type in a part number that replaces the 124 number and hit "Search" button

The MB Classic Center (contact Tom Hanson there), Irvine, CA

MB Naperville no longer has any affiliation with parts.com, and parts.com has a new web site and they substantially raised their prices.

MB Naperville has its own parts site now, with decent prices (but above the sources I mentioned above): http://www.mboemparts.com/

Parts.com is not worth your time anymore.

MB Asheville has the very lowest parts prices. MB Gainesville will match or beat those prices, and have free shipping. MB Classic Center will meet or beat any price you can get.

It's a great combination. There is no other better source of parts out there than these three. If you don't believe me, plug in a part number and see for yourself ... say, a 463 electric door lock actuator: 004 820 25 42
This door lock actuator is found in the passenger and rear doors of all early 463s and in all four doors of 463s since around 2002 through present time.

Try it on parts.com, MB Asheville, MB Naperville, MB South Atlanta and other online sites ... then call Classic Center or MB Gainesville with the lowest parts price you find, and they will both beat it.

Much more information and discussion on my site here: http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6336

Cheers,
Gerry

P.S. Tom Hanson can get you any "comm-blocked" part that you need - he works for MB and has that clout. Most dealers are idiots and have no/limited clout to do any type of special order. Since my G320 is a gray-market model, I just go to Tom for most all of my G-specific parts. You can't lose with the Classic Center.

Return to “Info: How to locate and purchase parts for your Gwagen”