Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

4-speed vs. 5-speed Shifters

Any post where the initial author's intention is share information pertaining to parts specific to the G-klasse. This includes information about the parts needed for a certain repair job, or how to find the parts (different suppliers, etc).
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
vadimivanovich

4-speed vs. 5-speed Shifters

Post#1 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 am

This information pertains to the 4 and 5-speed iron box transmissions as found in the W460/W461 Gwagens.

Some have found that it is possible to use a 4-speed shifter when updating to the 5-speed transmission. This requires an awkward entry into 1st gear by pulling the shifter up before moving left and rearward to 1st (yes, that's where first gear is on the 711.113/117).

When I bought my new 5-speed shifter I was surprised to find a W124 part number on it. Upon closer inspection, it seems that only the metal guide plate on the bottom-side is different. I've heard of people modifying the plate to work, but it might also be possible to simply order the part.

Here is a 5 vs. 4-speed comparison:
Attachments
5-Speed Shifter Bottom.jpg
4-Speed Shifter Bottom.jpg
"The way you think is the way you live"

G Nome

Re: 4-speed vs. 5-speed Shifters

Post#2 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 am

Vadim,

Tried to look it up just for kicks. A little hard to read the 8th digit. If you post it I will try to look it up.

Nice photos thanks.

Kent
Kent
If you need help...I usually have extra zip ties and duct tape.

vadimivanovich

Post#3 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:16 am

124 267 09 47

I just realized another difference: the reverse light switch. Argh.

Chris

Post#4 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:40 am

Here are pictures of the 5 speed shifter found in w123 passenger cars (among others):
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IG: #traildustrestoration

Chris

Post#5 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:42 am

Here are pics of the 4 speed shifter found in w223 passenger cars, and some comparison shots with the 5 speed item.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IG: #traildustrestoration

offroad-world

Post#6 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:10 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:124 267 09 47

I just realized another difference: the reverse light switch. Argh.

and the pins on the shifter arms look in different ways and the shifter arms have a different length .

some show 201 and some 124 part numbers but this is for some parts only , the shifter has a A 461 part number . and then there is one shifter from the 290GD , it has the shift pattern in opposite way , i have 3 new ones of these and no use , maybe one day i can use them for any spares .

i think you see now that it is impossible to do with a 4 speed shifter . the wolf shifter mechanism shifts 6 gears , the 4 speed shifter shifts 5 gears only .

mfg. guido .
300GDT OM617A Kastenwagen, 2850mm wheel base
250GDT OM602A Single Cab, 3400mm wheel base , gone to friend Orest

vadimivanovich

Post#7 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Yes, there are no easy solutions! Thankfully, captain Guido has these wonderful parts :P

Return to “Info: How to locate and purchase parts for your Gwagen”