Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Getting that G door "thunk" back

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
AlanMcR

Getting that G door "thunk" back

Post#1 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:04 pm

22 years on, the G's been accumulating interior rattles. Today, the rear doors got dealt with.

Popping the door skins off I found that several of the plastic clips had crumbled, the rest were intact but loose. Also the speaker covers had cracked loose around the screw holes. Besides, they had suffered countless ski boot kicks and looked terrible.

So, get a big bag of door clips (15 in each rear door). 100x for $8.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H6P3ZGW

The MB speaker covers go for $40/ea., more than I can justify for the evident quality. So, I found these generic speaker covers. https://www.parts-express.com/steel-mes ... k--260-418 $5/ea. The round speakers aren't a perfect fit, because one can just see the creases from the corners of the old covers. They look good IMHO. If you want something else, the mounting screws are on a 5-5/8" circle.

1) Very gently pry out the plastic trim at the forward end of the arm rest.
2) Unscrew the 3 screws that hold the arm rest. Remove it.
3) Push the trim ring around the door latch back about 1cm. It should come out easily now.
4) On many Gs you will find small black screws snugging the top of the panel to the window frame.
5) Push down the lock pin. Be careful of this area in the next step.
6) Use a plastic spatula to pop the panel off of the door.
7) Remove the old clips by twisting them such that they climb out of the holes. Look at the new ones to get an idea of how they work. Some will break, you'll have to pick the bits out of the socket.
8) Clean up the door skin and tack down the water seal on the door if needed.
9) Replace the speaker cover.
10) Reassemble in reverse order.
11) Close door, feel satisfied at the authoritative thunk.
12) Drive over rough road, enjoy the quiet.
20181218_191729.jpg

20181218_185344.jpg
...Alan

cal_w460

Re: Getting that G door "thunk" back

Post#2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:15 pm

Nice fix and a really good price on those nylon door card clips. They seem to be the same on a w460 aswell.
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

G Nome

Post#3 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:44 am

Thank you Alan for the write up and the link. Good call.

Kent

schuhe

Post#4 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Thank you Alan. Have done this myself some years ago, but sourced the white clips from Euro Truck, or maybe even Europa when they were still active, as I recall.

I also did not like the sound of the doors closing, so I added the lead-rubber, self gluing, material that is then attached to the inside of the door panel - the metal part. This was easy to do since the door panels were off for checking and repair. Now I have that "vault" Mercedes sound as I close the door. I suspect the 463s already have this or another material, (maybe spray-on (?)) applied that quiets the door slam.

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”