Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Photo DIY- Transfer Case Oil Change

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
g-amg

Photo DIY- Transfer Case Oil Change

Post#1 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:02 pm

Yes, the Boring Posts Continue.

Here we have Transfer Case Oil Change.

WIS Specifies 60,000 Mile Change. I'm doing it a bit early at 50,000.

It should be changed, like most oils, in a "warmed up state".

I included BOTH the W463 AND W460 for comparison's sake.

Please note, the Redline is NOT a Specified fluid. I am using other forum members' experience with this Product.

Also see my "Redline Warning" Post, so you don't make any "Boo-Boo's".

I included the "Recommended" Service Sheet for the VG150E Transfer Case.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

g-amg

Re: Photo DIY- Transfer Case Oil Change

Post#2 » Sun May 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Part II
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
Attachments
10.JPG

Dai C

Post#3 » Mon May 26, 2008 9:46 am

Thanks for taking the time to make the images and text. I'm sure that these will be helpful to people.

One thing that I try to avoid doing is using the torque wrenches to loosen things. I use a drive ratchet or breaker bar to loosen stuff and only use the torque wrench to bring things to the torque called for. That will help keep it in calibration and avoid damage to the ratchet mechanism. I broke the gears out of one once because those wrenches are long and offer a lot of leverage. You have a very nice looking one there, is it a German tool?

These oil change documents might be a great addition to the G-Tech area.

-Dai

g-amg

Post#4 » Mon May 26, 2008 4:41 pm

Dai, Thanx for the concern, but the first photo IS a breaker bar (18" Hazet).

The torque wrench is a German company called Stahlwille. For torque wrenches, the Best of the Best! Most of the Mercedes Factory Torque wrenches are Stahlwille.

FredyG

Post#5 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:11 pm

g-amg. Keep on with the work. I found it extremely usefull and helpfull. There must be a bunch of owners/mechanics (like me) that find this "direct" hints a reminder of services that we have to do. One good picture saves a thousand words.

Traveler

Post#6 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks for the great info. Just finished the job on my 2002 G500. Of note:

There were washers on both plugs. They stayed stuck to the case after the plugs were removed. Easy to miss or lose.

There was a magnet on the drain plug. Not sure if it was factory or not.

Filling was the hardest part. Used a Harbor Freight Gear Oil Transfer pump. Works great with the standard size bottle caps. Does not fit the wide-mouth gallon jugs. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten a one-quart bottle with the right sized cap for the pump then transferred from the gallon jug.

Thanks again! Your photos and specs were very helpful.

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”