Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Fuel sender repair

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
awjunkies

Fuel sender repair

Post#1 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:26 am

There used to be an aritcle on "how to repair" but I can't find it anymore. It had in depth description/pics on removal and how to take apart. I have the stock 280ge gas tank with I assume a gas sender (8 point socket). I've fixed all the grounds, all my gauges work except for the fuel. It will sometimes read what its supposed to but it is erratic and will jump around on bumps.

Took a ground wire to the low connector and the gauge low light comes on, ground to power and it goes climbs to full. I think my sender is dirty and I want to clean it without breaking.

Thanks!

vadimivanovich

Re: Fuel sender repair

Post#2 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:57 am

I have a good used sender if needed.

When you pull the sender out, it has a small nut at the bottom, center. Remove that and the bottom aluminum & phenolic plates to allow the aluminum cylinder to slide off. Be careful as the cylinder can get caught on one of the two internal float wires. Use electrical contact cleaner on the wires and float contacts. I have had better results by using a pencil eraser to polish the wires lightly - careful, they break easily. Be sure to clean the reserve contacts too. Reassemble and test.

Before all of this you might want to run a good ground to the sender ground and drive a bit. If the gauge starts working, it's just a ground wiring issue, which is super common.
"The way you think is the way you live"

AlanMcR

Post#3 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:19 am

vadimivanovich wrote:I have a good used sender if needed.
Before all of this you might want to run a good ground to the sender ground and drive a bit. If the gauge starts working, it's just a ground wiring issue, which is super common.

Chances are the problem lies outside the actual sender. Either way, you will need to refurbish the connections, so why not start there?

The upward facing cup shape of the fuel sender makes it ripe for all kinds of electrical problems at the outside connections. Carefully clean, grease and retighten these connections, also inspect the bond between the wire and end connectors.
...Alan

Classified

Post#4 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm

I found that the connections on the underside of the sender lid. Make sure you clean the contacts were they interface with the outer contacts. You may need to resolder or put 'jumpers' on them.
If perfection was attainable, who would want it?
•'=='•

Classified

Post#5 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Classified wrote:I found that the connections on the underside of the sender lid. Make sure you clean the contacts were they interface with the outer contacts. You may need to resolder or put 'jumpers' on them.

I found that the connections on the underside of the sender lid * get corroded*.
Sorry, my brain gets ahead of my hands.
If perfection was attainable, who would want it?
•'=='•

welshwiz

Post#6 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:02 pm

I have had this problem - took off the cover plate in the 'boot' and the sender was grounded by a wire under one of the cover screws. Cleaned both side of contact with enery paper till shiny - reconnected and refitted cover - it works now - there is always a bit of erratic movement on mine 300GD 1991 as you corner at low diesel levels.

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”