Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Typical Problems with W-460?

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
a.mcclean

Typical Problems with W-460?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Hey everyone. I was just wondering what sort of typical problems to look for when purchasing a 460. The one I'm looking at has the typical rust on the rear quarter panels which need to be fixed, and some slight surface rust on the rockers. Also it has a leaking sunroof which is a quick fix. However I was wondering if there are any typical mechanical or running gear problems that I should look out for. The rig is an 1985 280ge with 71,000 miles and is at $3,500, so I'm kind of wary as to what the seller isn't showing. Thanks for your help. I would really like to get into a G, but only if it won't bite me later!

reinhardtius

Re: Typical Problems with W-460?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:52 pm

Pictures would be helpful and be very careful with rust - It never really seems to disappear unless the entire metal is cut out and replaced.

4x4abc

Post#3 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:29 pm

there are so many things that need to be looked at
maybe Mike should create a page with buyer's advice
since the price is comfortably low, I would not worry too much

Locked up

Post#4 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Typical problems = Rust.

Driveshaft vibrations, worn out wiper shafts, rusty fuel tanks, bad front wheel bearings, oil leaks...

Slop in the steering, window regulators that are hard to crank, fuel pump, fuel pump relay...etc.

You're looking at a vehicle that is nearly 25 years old. It's going to need some love, $3500 is a very fair
price for a running driving, titled 280GE. You really can't go wrong at that price.

Slap a diesel in it, and call it done!

a.mcclean

Post#5 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks for your responses. I looked at it again today after seeing more pictures and the rust is definitely an issue that may be a deal breaker. Most is surface rust, but the penetrating rust is in more spots than I thought, plus the dirtiness of the undercarriage is making it hard to tell what is surface rust and what would need to be replaced, so I'll definitely have to be careful on that one. Spring seats and springs need to be replaced, as well as shocks. Luckily rust has stayed low on the car, hasn't gone to the doors, just on the body, and besides my welding friends need some projects to get better...haha. I'll look for slop in the steering as signs of wheel bearings gone, and listen and feel for some driveshaft slop.
Quick question, are there any common problems with engine problems such as blown heads, or thrown valves that I should be wary of for the future. These are easy to i.d. if the problem is happening now, but if its building up they become real expensive real fast. I know some engines are more apt to these problems, and I'm not certain what the specs are for the 6 cylinder. eg. aluminum head engines can start going bad at this mileage if driven hard. I like the idea of a diesel swap, maybe in the future if its a purchase for me. Something about people from Portland they always want to put a diesel in everything they see!
A buyers guide would be a great adittion to this already great site. Something to think about :). Thanks so much for your responses, I hope everyone is out wheeling this weekend or at least having fun in the woods. I'll post pictures when I take them.

Woody

Post#6 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Where are you? Where's this truck?

I'd venture to say that is a very low price. So low in fact that to get it to the level of being in good condition - all else being equal - figure a total buy in of $16,000. So - $12,500 of repair work as a base assumption. BUT - we all know what happens when we ASS-U-ME things!

Also, its widely agreed among G folks the M110 and the OM 617a are the two best motors ever made. However, the straight six is more finicky IMO and you can't run it on veg oil. Heck, you don't have to be from Portland to do a diesel swap, I live in Bend and I'm doing one! :mrgreen:

Good luck to you. Post pictures and let us know where you are. That will help us determine how crazy you are or how jealous we are!

BTW - Welcome!

Gelande

Post#7 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:51 pm

I will take Harald up on that suggestion to create a permanent section on the clubgwagen.com site for buyers guide.

in the meantime...
There will be some buyer's tips in the upcoming issue of Overland Journal.

to add to the list here...

u-joints shot becuase of poor driveline angle
bearings in t-case becuase of overly complicated reverse direction for front axle nonsense
requires reverse cut diff gears in front axle...also nonsense
rockers rust out at b-pillar due to seam cracks and stress
rockers rust where trim screw go into body....remove your trim often and clean behind it, replace windshield seam weld rusts out
windshield gasket leaks, rusts frame inside out
wiper linkage holes leak, rust below, drip into cabin
vents clogged, cabin drips
front floor pan rust especially at pedal and body mount
the screw inserts with plastic ones
headlight buckets, unprotected, often unwashed
spring seat, upper for rear axle
5spd manual getrag models have premature tailsection bearing and main bearing failures
280GE can be prone to overheating...test those well for it!
rust or crap in fuel system/tank (like any old car) not G specific, but find a lot of G's with that.
sagging rear springs
hydraulic lockers not working due to not being used in forever or old fluid or no fluid

there are 100's more...seriously
this is why many folks will hire me or other similar experts to really go through a car before making a purchase. But with prudence most anyone can do it if they are armed with the right info and tools.

a.mcclean

Post#8 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:32 pm

No offense meant to the Oregon folks out there. Its just funny to me, because a veggy oil swap is a favorite topic of mine and my friend from Portland. It just figures that folks from Oregon stick together on that front. A bunch of quality folks out that way that know what should be in an off roader is what it seems like to me.
As for that list, I really appreciate it. I'm looking for a professional to give it a thorough look over as my tools are lacking at this time (recent move) and my experience with Mercedes and especially locking diffs is limited. I figure a professional will be able to give me a better idea of what i'm getting into and what it would cost me to get out of it. Heres a link for some pictures:
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/recei ... WrFw5ZsnJg

the rust makes me cringe everytime I look at them! Kind of makes me think I should just deal with offroading a subaru a little while longer. But then I drive around and realize I'm in Montana and have needed to upgrade to something better than a subbie for a long time. Anyways have a look and let me know what you guys think.

Locked up

Post#9 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Diesel power! :D

That G doesn't look that bad. I've seen worse for more $$.

Bet you theres rust in the tank though. If you buy it put a filter in before the fuel pump, it'll save you from buying a pump when it sucks rust from the tank. There's a mesh filter in the tank, but it's most likely rusted out as well.

DesertStar

Post#10 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:02 am

Andrew, for what you will spend to get to average condition, you could definitely find something that has had more love. Do you think that could be 171k miles or even 271k miles ??
There are many older Gwagens for sale now, and many 280ge owners who would be interested in selling to "upgrade" to a newer G500 etc. but the current market for the older G is not like it was a few years ago yielding prices in the high teens and low twenties. It is a buyers market. Post a thread that of what you are looking for and I guarantee you will be greeted with some ads and offers. As a group, we have many eyes as to what is for sale and where.
Mike

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”