Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

DIY W463 Cabin Hepa Air Filter Service, Fresh Air Intake,etc

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Gelande

DIY W463 Cabin Hepa Air Filter Service, Fresh Air Intake,etc

Post#1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:21 pm

The Hepa air filtration on the G500 is amazing. Any dust, smoke, whatever in the air in the interior of your car is instantly in this filter once you hit the recycle air fan setting on your console. However, every once in a while you need to clean the filter. The book says replace often, but I blow it out with a compressor most the time.....every year I replace it, but one trip to the desert or any dusty location, and it needs to come out.

1. locate the plenum box, which under the hood, by the firewall, passenger side, large black box

2. remove cap lid for filtration system

3. slide and pull on the framework of the filter, not the filter itself. The filter can tear and you don't want grease on it.

4. remove

5. split filter and framework gasket

6. clean 'em and blow out filter

7. replace same way

.....while I am at it, I also clean out the space under the grill in the hood, which is the fresh air intake for the cabin climate control.
This also includes cleaning out the "gutter" beneath the windshield and under the aft portion of the ajar bonnet.

see photos...
Attachments
P1000256.JPG
gasket seal
P1000252.JPG
fresh intake area
P1000255.JPG
P1000254.JPG
Gutter rail
P1000253.JPG
Ah....diluted simple green, a perfect G engine compartment detail companion
P1000248.JPG