Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Help converting front end & flares on G500 US

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Re: Help converting front end & flares on G500 US

Post#21 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Very cool!

G Nome

Post#22 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Wow. Way to step up Tommy.

Nice to see the evolution of a long time owner.

Looks awesome and perfect for your trips.

Kent

grazza

Post#23 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:39 am

Excellent!

DiscoDino

Post#24 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:22 am

Very nice!

offroad-world

Post#25 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:26 am

the G class has so many different faces :D

mfg. guido .

diesel_jim

Post#26 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:08 am

Looks a little like the PUR edition. 8-)

tommy

Post#27 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Thank you for your comments. Now I am finally able to use and enjoy this G in a manner for which it was brilliantly designed and constructed.

The ideas for, and the transformation of, the G started at the last Oregon Treffen, and all of the helpful advice from many participants and the fun I had looking at and hearing about their various G's. Thank you very much for all of your help!!!

The hood ornament is a flying grouse that I bought in London 10 years ago. It was as close as I could find to a wild Bob White Quail which we hunt down here in South Georgia from late November to end of February. At the right MPH it whistles like the mating call of a male grouse, or at least I think it does. The sound gets my dogs very excited and then very disappointed!

Best regards

ChuckB

Post#28 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Tommy your G looks great!

vadimivanovich

Post#29 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 pm

Tommy, great to see you right in there in Oregon and now taking it up a big notch! Great job - enjoy it!

4D55 Performance

Post#30 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:15 am

Making this modification(painting the grille, bumpers and flares and removing the running boards) is much more complex than meets the eye. I have been working on it for a few days and removing the flares and bumpers is time consuming. To remove the front bumper you have to pull the fog lights, oil cooler, driver side body mount etc. The grille is very easy to remove but you have to scratch off all the fake chrome with a razor which is time consuming and can take an hour of two. Each flare take about an hour to remove because you have to remove the fender liners. I also have reconditioned my rubber trim pieces that go between the flare and the body. It's these little details that are time consuming.

Under the front flares you will probably have a few rust spots you want to address. The running boards are a pain to remove because it is a tight space. It makes it much easier if you have a torch to heat the bolts but it still takes a few hours to remove the running boards.

Realistically you could be looking at 40-50 hours of labor to remove, paint and install the flares and bumpers. It's not really a difficult job as far as mechanic work goes, it's just time consuming, but when it all done you will have one sweet looking rig like Tommy's.

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”