Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Help converting front end & flares on G500 US

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
AlanMcR

Re: Help converting front end & flares on G500 US

Post#31 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:09 am

I'd paint the front bumper in place. The grill chrome should come off much easier with the aid of a heat gun. And, I'll throw in another recommendation for plasti-dip for the fender extensions. If you don't like it you can just peel it off and paint the normal way.

4D55 Performance

Post#32 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:48 pm

In a perfect world a heat gun would speed up the process but that stuff does not want to come off. I think it is heat resistant. I wish you could just spray the bumpers in place but most choose to remove the end caps all together prior to painting which made a huge improvement to the end product. It is a good idea to remove the flares because you may have some rust spots developing where the brackets mount to the body. I am all for cutting corners but I think this is one job worth spending the extra money and time to do it right the first time.

mk216v

Post#33 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:43 pm

4D55 Performance wrote:In a perfect world a heat gun would speed up the process but that stuff does not want to come off. I think it is heat resistant. I wish you could just spray the bumpers in place but most choose to remove the end caps all together prior to painting which made a huge improvement to the end product. It is a good idea to remove the flares because you may have some rust spots developing where the brackets mount to the body. I am all for cutting corners but I think this is one job worth spending the extra money and time to do it right the first time.

Looking good!

4D55 Performance

Post#34 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:01 pm

Otiswesty wrote:Why don't you guys paint the entire grille? It looks good, but seems like it should be black all the way down that part to the bumper level. Less noticeable with a winch on front, but seems a little odd. The chrome strips come off easily with a blow dryer or a heat gun, they just peel off, then some goo gone to get the rest of the adhesive off. The running boards are in a tight spot, but using a ratcheting box wrench makes it pretty easy and saves alot of time.

Looking good Spence. The large roof tent must be great for accomodating all those kids, put up a pic with the trailer once that is all sorted.

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks for your kind words Eric.

Not painting the grille was a stylistic choice on my part. I have seen it done both ways and I liked the way it looks when the bottom 1/3 is not painted. I was just trying to do a modern take on a classic which is what the original poster is trying to accomplish. The only other changes I plan to make are orange turn signals and maybe painting the mirrors black.

You're right about the sliders, having the right tool makes all the difference. I used a torch to break them loose and gear wrenches made the process go much quicker.

mk216v

Post#35 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:46 pm

I just put my Karl sliders on last week. Such a joy to work with properly crafted mods.

motomarco

Post#36 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 am

Incredible looking G!

Hisham.hazahza

Post#37 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:09 am

guys! Any parts available for sale? w460 or w463 please message me

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”