Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Help converting front end & flares on G500 US

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
prbmeat

Re: Help converting front end & flares on G500 US

Post#11 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:31 pm

aznbo187 wrote:
vadimivanovich wrote:You will need W460 fenders and headlight surrounds, w460 grille, PUR edition mirrors (~$600), and perhaps some small odds & ends. You might find someone on this forum or elsewhere that would be willing to trade you the W463 parts for their W460 parts. This is not a wise investment, but if you really love the older look and newer amenities, then you have the right idea.

Completely prefer the older look over the new. Please feel free to PM me if anyone is interested in a trade in any of the parts mentioned.

I found the headlight surrounds, front grill and PUR mirrors. Do you know if the headlight surround/front grill is a bolt on replacement? Is anything else needed, such as new headlights, or bumpers to work? Same question for the fender flares.

Where did you find the Pur side view mirrors? I am going to make the same modification ...

mk216v

Post#12 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Tony Cruthers wrote:all you need is paint.

Compare to the before;

<hail> 8-)

grazza

Post#13 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:58 pm

mk216v wrote:Compare to the before;

It proboably would not get stuck now either, with the baggier tyres.

It would be good to see a shot of the front of this W463, with the black trim.

The black flares look much better, offset by the silver body.

mk216v

Post#14 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 pm

grazza wrote:
mk216v wrote:Compare to the before;

It proboably would not get stuck now either, with the baggier tyres.

It would be good to see a shot of the front of this W463, with the black trim.

The black flares look much better, offset by the silver body.

Tony says he has a front end shot, or maybe Tommy can post one.

Yes, quite the difference. Color is actually a "Champagne" Designo color. I'm not sure of the official name however.

tommy

Post#15 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 am

Stuck in the sand in Oregon and now able to go just about anywhere!! Tony did an amazing level of quality work and helped me make sound decisions on the labyrith of alternative I could have taken on the G revisions. Unicat should knit a man-purse and give it to Tony!

Have been to Moab, Navajo Indian reservation in Arizona, North Carolina Mountains and a barrier reef island in the Gulf of Mexico since Tony's revisions. Never any problems with sand, rocks, gullies, and the amazing arroyo washouts in Moab during the floods last month. Baja is next this Fall and perhaps Belize.

If some one can tell me how to get a photo from my i-phone to this response page on the forum, I will send a few other pictures which show how well the front end looks now that Tony painted it out in black matt.

Thank you in advance for the picture transfer/posting advice.

Best regards, Tommy

G Nome

Post#16 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:25 am

Wow Tommy!

Did not even realize it was the same truck. Looks bitchen!

I so far have had to download them to my computer and then upload them to the site.

I hope someone will help us go direct.

Hope you are well.

Kent
Attachments
IMG_4443.jpg

Suppatime

Post#17 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:08 pm

I've considered doing the exact opposite of this, converting the front of the W460 to that of a W463... but then I realized it wouldn't look right with everything else. I'm finding a happy medium now with what I want to do. But with regards to what you're asking... here's what you'll need:

W461 EDITION.PUR Rearview mirrors
W460 Fenders
W460 Headlights (unless you want to retrofit W463's)
W460 Fender Flares
W460/1 Front / Rear Bumpers
W460/1 Front Wheel Arches
W460/1 Radiator Support

This isn't taking into account custom fabrication. I'm not sure how nicely the retrofitted parts will play with the W463 chassis. I know they're close, but this might take a bit of work to secure everything.

AlanMcR

Post#18 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:12 pm

You'll also have to figure out how to cool the AC condenser. The 463 has two bulky fans between the condenser and the grill. I don't think the 460 arrangement allows space for those.

Oh, and, if you want to go truly period correct you'd, swap he A-pillar trim, I'll swap with you!

mk216v

Post#19 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 pm

tommy wrote:Stuck in the sand in Oregon and now able to go just about anywhere!! Tony did an amazing level of quality work and helped me make sound decisions on the labyrith of alternative I could have taken on the G revisions. Unicat should knit a man-purse and give it to Tony!

Have been to Moab, Navajo Indian reservation in Arizona, North Carolina Mountains and a barrier reef island in the Gulf of Mexico since Tony's revisions. Never any problems with sand, rocks, gullies, and the amazing arroyo washouts in Moab during the floods last month. Baja is next this Fall and perhaps Belize.

If some one can tell me how to get a photo from my i-phone to this response page on the forum, I will send a few other pictures which show how well the front end looks now that Tony painted it out in black matt.

Thank you in advance for the picture transfer/posting advice.

Best regards, Tommy

This is classic; "Unicat should knit a man-purse and give it to Tony!"
Awesomeness. 8-)

Unfortunately to post pics, you have to post them to a photo site first, then paste the URL of the picture here. I think this is because the site doesn't have enough hosting juice to post a ton of pics on clubg. If you want to send it to my work address, I'll put it on my own photo site and then paste the URL of the pics here for everyone to see.

Baja baby!! :mrgreen:

mk216v

Post#20 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Two pics of Tommy's awesome G conversion, done by Tony Cruthers at Motorsports (maintenance done at Matrix Integrated 8-) );

Last edited by mk216v on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”