Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 280GE Overheating Issues - Possible causes?

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
inkblotz

Re: W460 280GE Overheating Issues - Possible causes?

Post#11 » Fri May 08, 2009 1:55 pm

Look at my previous post about drilling the holes in your new thermostat. Could you post a photo of your thermostat housing?
Does yours look like mine? (see attached) If so you could try bleeding it by removing the thermo-switch till it starts flowing not bubbling out of the hole.

Mark
Attachments
Thermostat.jpg
Last edited by inkblotz on Fri May 08, 2009 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reinhardtius

Post#12 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:44 pm

inkblotz wrote:Look at my previous post about drilling the holes in your new thermostat. Could you post a photo of your thermostat housing?
Does yours look like mine? (see attached) If so you could try bleeding it by removing the thermo-switch till it starts flowing not bubbling out of the hole.

Mark

I am actually about 30 miles away from my G. I am not going to be home for awhile unfortunately (weeks). I know for a fact it's installed correctly. The pin is up and the disk is down. That's the right way, right?

I can relay all of this information to my mechanic so that he can try to bleed it this way, or I might just wait a few weeks and do this myself. This sounds super easy.

No picture attached, btw..

inkblotz

Post#13 » Fri May 08, 2009 4:20 pm

oops sorry see previous post.
M

reinhardtius

Post#14 » Mon May 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Mark,

Truck is at home, I am at school now. I am almost positive I don't have that thermo switch and if I do I've never seen it.

Keys will arrive at mechanics tomorrow and will be towed to the shop to bleed the system and hopefully I'll have some answers by the end of the week. If anyone has any M110 specific ideas on how to bleed that would be appreciated.

Or does this just sound like a clogged radiator? When it overheats I pull over and pull the cap off slowly, little bit of steam comes out for about 2 minutes, then when I look down the rad there is no coolant, so it's either being consumed somewhere in the engine or coming out of the overflow hose. Will have my mechanic confirm where the coolant is going.

Thanks dudes,

Hunter

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”