Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2000 G500 rear-view mirror removal. Help needed

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
DesertStar

Re: 2000 G500 rear-view mirror removal. Help needed

Post#31 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:20 pm

burqueDOKA wrote:My advise to you, is to start with pulling the cable out and cleaning it and lubing it. The cable is plastic coated and runs through a rigid metal tube that makes several bends. If there is no lube in there, it ain't going to coperate. You will need to pull the section of the headliner off the sunroof (very easy) to Do this. While in there clean and lube what ever you can reach. This is, more than likely all that is needed. If the job is approached in this manner, it really isn't that bad. In fact I'll be pulling and lubeing my cable as part of a semi annual routine after this.
Now, mine was really bound up, and after i made the mistake of convincing it to open one last time, I could not get it to get to the position it needs to be in to remove the headliner section. I tried to manually move it with the emergency manual operation, but it was jammed. This led me to dropping the whole thing off the roof. Hopefully you can convince yours to coperate. You just need it to open 3/4 to unclip the leading edge of the headliner ( I'm going to call this the door card), then pull out the door card thought the roof, then close the sunroof all the way. At this point you will be able to see where the cable is fastened to the sunroof. Unbolt the two 8mm bolts and run the cable toward the front of the G with the motor, then pull it ou the remainder by hand.

If anyone needs, I can give you a step by step instruction along with a copy of the pages out of the manual.

Thanks for all the info...I have a lot more confidence now. I will let you know the outcome along with the cause and cure.

burqueDOKA

Re: 2000 G500 rear-view mirror removal. Help needed

Post#32 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:13 pm

AlanMcR wrote:DIY Glass Sunroof / Moonroof

Seems like it would be cool to have, but I'm too chicken to try it.

Yeah I'm with you Alan, sounds great, but no thanks. I think it'd be easier to turn the current metal sunroof into a frame for some custom glass. There is a fair amount of real estate of flat metal that could be removed. Not sure how you'd work a retractable sunshade into it though.
Maybe after my 1000 mile long list of to-dos is complete.

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”