Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2000 G500 rear-view mirror removal. Help needed

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
G power

Re: 2000 G500 rear-view mirror removal. Help needed

Post#11 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:37 pm

I agree with Alan Study that mechanism very well, put each part on the floor as you remove it in same orintation , if you can video it as you doing it ,would be great, I know it sound crazy . but it helped me when I fixe the sunroof on my E300.
$65 instead of a $1900. Too bad I did not have you guys as resource I had to ask for a print out from the dealer parts department. have fun and do not get frustrated.

Ihab

burqueDOKA

Post#12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Successfully apart and cleaned up. I can say this, a bulk of the jam was in the cable and sheath, but I'm glad I tore it all apart to clean the sunroof mechanism.

A quick question for you all, what is the best grease to use? My manual calls for 001 981 14 51 but my dealer (who sucks BTW) can't find that number. The synthetic grease he could find is 001 989 4651 but it's $97 a tub. Is see Vlad has a much cheaper tub, but I don't see its part number. Is this the stuff you guys use?

AlanMcR

Post#13 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:25 pm

I've been using 3M silicone paste. Good for door rubber and latches too.

burqueDOKA

Post#14 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Doesn't seem to collect dirt too badly? That's, supposedly the big difference between the MB stuff and the others?

AlanMcR

Post#15 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:55 pm

burqueDOKA wrote:Doesn't seem to collect dirt too badly? That's, supposedly the big difference between the MB stuff and the others?

It doesn't seem to. Frankly, until proven otherwise, I think the MB stuff is 3M Silicone Paste.

Winston

Post#16 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:09 pm

burqueDOKA wrote:Successfully apart and cleaned up. I can say this, a bulk of the jam was in the cable and sheath, but I'm glad I tore it all apart to clean the sunroof mechanism.

Have you done the modification for rerouting the cable in the back left corner of the truck where the sunroof motor is located?

Mine was hung up there when I got it but that mod seems to have worked. Granted we haven't had many sunroof days since I got mine in November.

burqueDOKA

Post#17 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:46 pm

I'm not sure the mod you speak of.

Ok, Alan, I trust your expertise on all things Gwagen. I had a hell of a time, but I found some 3M paste locally so I can proceed with the project. Sounds like you are not alone in your opinion of the product.

Winston

Post#18 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:21 pm

burqueDOKA wrote:I'm not sure the mod you speak of.

Russ from Europa sent this to me. The basic concept is to provide the motor guide cable a straighter path to extend into the body cavity.
Attachments
image.jpg

burqueDOKA

Post#19 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks Winston, I was not aware of that mod, I will take a look and see what's there. It is a latter year Europa, so it might already be done. Honestly, I wasn't focused on the tail end of things.

burqueDOKA

Post#20 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Done! The process is not bad, once you have the headliner out of the way. I will say this though, you can service all you need without removing anything and just removing the section of headliner on the sunroof itself, (like the service manual says :roll: ). I'm glad I tore it all apart though, now I'm very familiar and comfortable with what's up there. Also I can now run some wiring for the Ham and a few other do-dads.

I ended up doing the mod that Winston mentioned. It is a very good move to do as it really takes unnecessary resistance out of the equation for a motor that is already working fairly hard. The process takes a little patience as the drill and bit is too long to fit into the second space, but a hole drilled straight up and down in not necessary.

I used the 3M Silicon paste that was mentioned to lube everything up with after I had cleaned it all with WD40 and then dried it all off with an air gun. The 3M product can be hard to find, but I found some at Car Quest. It seem to be perfect for the job.

This is all in preparation for a new custom interior expo cabinets and drawers that will be built around the FR Gullwing hatches. I'll post up that project soon.

Thanks for all the help!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”