Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Transfer case brace and adjustment thereof?

Highlighted Do It Yourself Articles as submitted over the years from season G veterans and club members. Save Money! Become self-supporting! Share what you have learned too!
Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
jonathan joseph

Transfer case brace and adjustment thereof?

Post#1 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:23 am

Anyone know anything about this? The transfer case brace (my manual just calls it "reinforcement") is a metal rod assembly that bolts between the transfer case and the transmission, ostensibly to reduce movement between the two? There are various incarnations of this brace for different models and apparently early trucks didn't have them at all until a problem was discovered. Some have an adjustable link and bushings at one end. I have seen no instructions for alignment or adjustment of this assembly. I am working on a truck where the brace was broken and re-welded. I don't believe the correct length was maintained. I am trying to find some specs to start with as a baseline. The truck has a bad vibration under acceleration from 25 to 30 mph. Front driveshaft was replaced with a used good condition shaft. (By another shop, same one that welded the brace)
I am going to have the front shaft balanced, re-install it, making sure the offset is correct, ( I believe it may be off a spline or two. )and while at it I want to make sure this brace is correct.
Any help is appreciated!

Jonathan
Attachments
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png (20.77 KiB) Viewed 2327 times

Dai C

Re: Transfer case brace and adjustment thereof?

Post#2 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:38 am

I did a lot of experimenting with that brace, racking the t-case up and down. I was trying to see it I could quell vibes by doing this. At the end on several attempts at orientation and shimming with washers at the t-case mounting I settled on getting the case to be in a very natural mounting with stock hardware using a floor jack to hold it while evenly tightening every thing to get it to hang in there right. I then adjusted the brace hardware to not influence that neutral position. Works well now. It was an interesting time on my back knocking dirt into my eyes and was worth it for the understanding of the alignment of things under there, but avoid that if you can. The 463 drivelines are quite different than the 460's and they improved angles etc. undoubtedly to quell vibes. I am thinking you can smooth a 460 only so much.

-Dai

jonathan joseph

Post#3 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks for the quick reply Dai! You did exactly what I've felt like I need to do, get it in a natural, no stress position and lock everything down there.
This truck has a bunch of problems so it's hard to see the forest for the trees. Needs a front axle rebuild, I don't know the balance on the front shaft,broken TC brace etc. Just trying to get what is obvious back to something close to spec.

Jonathan

PS Dai does your brace look exactly like the one I show?

Dai C

Post#4 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Exactly, every part.

-Dai

Tristan

Post#5 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:11 pm

Hmmm... so when I did my whole turbo upgrade and 722.3 tranny upgrade, we removed that brace as it wouldn't fit with the 722. We fabbed a custom cross brace for the tranny itself and left the t-case naked. I have that similar vibration, although I've always had it! With or without t-case brace....
Maybe I should attempt Dai's solution?
I kinda figured my rear driveshaft needed balancing...
Thoughts?

Return to “DIY: Mechanical Repair Guides”