Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Dual Battery Setup

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

Re: Dual Battery Setup

Post#31 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:29 am

inkblotz wrote:I turned out really nice.

Good job.
Mark

We already knew that Mark. I'd be happy to send a thank you card to your mom if you'd like.
;)

stevegsmith

Post#32 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:47 am

Christian, were you able to use the stock belts?
ss

inkblotz

Post#33 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:23 am

stevegsmith wrote:

Good job.
Mark

We already knew that Mark. I'd be happy to send a thank you card to your mom if you'd like.
;)

OK Sassy Pants. Just Say-in

stevegsmith

Post#34 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 am

inkblotz wrote:
stevegsmith wrote:

Good job.
Mark

;)

OK Sassy Pants. Just Say-in

I was referring to you (your comment to Christian, "I turned out really nice") and was in agreement. You did turn out really nice. Only the slightest amount of sass was intended.
BFF, Steve

inkblotz

Post#35 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:16 am

OOPS Even missed it the second time.

And yes my mother would appreciate a card.

Thanks
M

stevegsmith

Post#36 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:29 am

inkblotz wrote:OOPS Even missed it the second time.

And yes my mother would appreciate a card.

Thanks
M

Must be the vicodin.
;)

inkblotz

Post#37 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:36 am

Indeed.

syncro_G

Post#38 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm

inkblotz wrote:Indeed.

Ok, now that we've got Mark figured as really nice, I'm getting back on topic :)

More on the Wrangler NW alternator...

I replaced the Wrangler NW "mercedes" pulley with a real Mercedes pulley. This put belt alignment back about 2-3mm and then adjusted the spacers in the bracket setup so that the alternator set back another 4mm which put everything into alignment. So basically, corrected the belt alignment by at least a 1/4 inch from where Wrangler's original setup would have had it.

The Wrangler pulley also had slots that were too wide (I assume for an American belt size) so my 10mm wide continentals never had a good grip.
Also the new MB pulley has a little larger diameter than the one that was there so I'm noticing the headlights dimming slightly at idle (high current euro H4's) though even at idle they're still plenty bright.

Squeal is gone! Just on time for a little trail riding tomorrow with Mike and crew.

-C

BTW Steve, who's the Eric you are, uh, referring to in your photo?

inkblotz

Post#39 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:32 am

I was going to ask the pulley diameter difference. Will it affect its charging capabilities?

Mark

schuhe

Post#40 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:15 am

Hum? I forgot the question that I wanted to ask. An interesting, if not somewhat hypnotic, thread...

Oh, it was a comment and a question about size...does it always come to size?

I have a veggie fuel system that does make high starting demand to heat the in-bound fuel (eletrically). (The other part of the system uses coolant heat and a second spin-on filter, which is as combined unit and is located near the battery. These two aspects will likely force me to put a second battery somewhere else in the vehicle. But, I do hate long cables = loss of cranking power.

Any thoughts about an over-sized battery to replace the "stock" 850 cold cranking amp (I think that is correct) diesel-rated things were are using? (Is that what you are using with single battery set-up? I could always go with a D-8 Cat battery place where the rear seat used to be...(he mused :idea: ).

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”