Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Dual Battery Setup

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
inkblotz

Re: Dual Battery Setup

Post#21 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 am

stevegsmith wrote:Here's mine. See guys, I'm just as cool as Christian, see! Me, me, me, me.......

(for the record: Christian, that a sweet looking badass little setup you got going on there).

Nice Steve, But the color of the towel matched with the orange clip really clashes with the battery set up.... I will give you an honorable mention but Christian has eeked by with best in show.
There is always next year.

Mark

stevegsmith

Post#22 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:21 am

Not sure if this helps but that orange clip is a souvenir from my days running the G4 challenge and the towel was given to me by Farrah Fawcett in 1978 after her famous single piece, apparently very cold, swim suit shoot.

Also notice the yellow, might I add original, Bilstein.

Snap.

inkblotz

Post#23 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:54 am

I thought the clip was from the time you did that Richard Simmons Marathon and needed this little devise to cinch you pants tighter as you had lost so much weight. :shock:

Snap Snap
Mark

syncro_G

Post#24 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Dudes, the towel is awesome! I think I will afix one to my fender in a more permanent fashion. I have all those oem screws from the donor car looking for a use.

Btw, Steve's battery set up was the inspiration for mine.
He gets the originality award.

jonathan joseph

Post#25 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:59 am

I've got nothing to say on the subject except that the last time I flew, Richard Simmons was in line with me going through security. It was freezing and he had his customary shorts on!

Jonathan

inkblotz

Post#26 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:26 am

The striped ones? :o

jonathan joseph

Post#27 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:52 pm

I really couldn't tell, he was clutching a gigantic pillow, and yelling "Hello pretty ladies!" really loud to all the passersby.

Jonathan

stevegsmith

Post#28 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 pm

Hey, Dick Simmons is a trend setter no matter how you look at it.

Right guys?
:?

syncro_G

Post#29 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 pm

I finally upgraded the alternator.
I found a used Wrangler NW 155A alternator (10K miles on it) second hand on craigslist.
the price was right.

Fitment was ok. it's a modified Delco alternator and has an addiitonal arm to attach to the stock mercedes mounting. I think it could have been better designed but it's solid once installed.
The pulley is about 1/8" too far forward and the grooves don't match the MB 10mm wide belts very well. The result is a loud whirring from the belts and a subtle burned rubber smell. The wiring however, is top notch.

I'm carrying an extra set of belts and was able to get a new pulley from a local shop that should fix the alignment problems. I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to swap pulleys.

BTW, the military clamps on the batteries are great - since all the cables use the same 3/8" lug, it's easy to reconfigure everything without having to rebuild anything. just unbolt from one clamp and bolt to another.
I think that if there's ever a problem in the field, it will be easy to adapt a new circuit layout based on the parts that are there.

wnw alt.jpg
wrangler northwest alternator installed

wnw wiring.jpg
wrangler alternator wiring to batteries

inkblotz

Post#30 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:50 am

It turned out really nice.

Good job.
Mark
Last edited by inkblotz on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”