Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Dual Battery Setup

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Erictsn

Re: Dual Battery Setup

Post#61 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Would like to confirm does the AL69X (bosch) can install to 460/ 280GE 1986 model without any modification? I want to upgrade my old original low amps one! I found this from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-AL69X-Alter ... B000BZJP1Y

Thanks

stevegsmith

Post#62 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:50 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:One problem few have talked about is the problem older designs have with low effectiveness at low RPM. They can produce the amperage only at high RPMs. Newer designs are less prone to this.

Critical and valid point. The set-ups that I've tried including the SAAB alternator do not produce more than 14.2 volts at idle. Odyssey batteries like more juice.....like 14.5+ during idle...so I hear.
Steve

cal_w460

Post#63 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Has anyone tried this kind of setup with Litium-batteries? (LiFePO4)

Main advantage is 40-50% weight saving compared to Lead ACM or Gel batteries because of better deep discharge. Also gives a longer lifespan for the batteries.

I am planning to run two smaller LiFePO4 batteries in my overland project, a 300GD LWB. It will have solarpanels on the roof charging the auxillary battery. The main battery will be charged from the alternator. It would be nice if the solar panels could charge the main battery too during longer stops though.

LiFePO4 batteries with built in PCM should act like a normal Lead battery during charging / discharging. But I haven't been able to find out how it works in a dual battery setup.
w460.333 1982 Colorado Beige 300 GD OM617.931

Chris

Post#64 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:15 pm

they work like a normal battery in dual batt setups, id also like to try those new designs, they are popular in the RV world.

I like that they can be 100% discharged without risk of damaging, and recharge is about as fast as batteries get.
IG: #traildustrestoration

TechMOGogy

Post#65 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:13 pm

Did you see the announcement by Fisker?
https://electrek.co/2017/11/14/fisker-s ... tric-cars/
PUCH IT: 72 Haflinger Pathfinder - 75 Pinzgauer 710M 2.7i - 96 Puch 350GDT Worker

cal_w460

Post#66 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:18 am

I have realised that the temperature that a LiFePO4 battery wants to be charged is quite limited. It doesn't like cold temperatures at all and people using them in RV:s usually place them in isolated boxes with tank heaters inside to extend their outside temperature range.

It sure would have worked as an extra battery for running refrigeraror in my G since it wont be needed during the winter up here in Sweden and Norway. But I will still need a battery for charging computers and phones that can be recharged by the solarpanel also during the winter.

Think that I'm gonna stick with AGM batteries as the other people in this thread did.

cal_w460

Post#67 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:14 am

One problem with the LiFePO4 technology is the temperature range. People using them in an RV in cold climate seem to be putting them in isolated boxes with tank heaters to extend the cold temperature functionality. Charging below freezing point is apparently an issue.

I think I might have to stick with AGM Lead technology because the vehicle will be used in northern Sweden and Norway during the winter where temps get really low.

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”