Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Dual Battery Setup

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
Fernando BR

Re: Dual Battery Setup

Post#51 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:04 pm

Syncro I tested SAAb / Bosch and its very hard to change belts if you need (only removing the alternator bracket bolt) . The bosch AL69X works ok , its 80 AMP but its easy to handle.

The SAAB alternator has a very big V angle at engine side and works as a limit at belt adjustment .The alternator touches the engine support and the adjustment bolt is not in line.
Attachments
alt 1.JPG

vadimivanovich

Post#52 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:44 am

I'm not sure how mine is different but I am using the Saab version and it works. As for belt replacement - ditto Steve's fountain of "language". I've been told that there are newer Bosch units that produce 150-amps and have a smaller body with the same mounting points. If it didn't just install this one last year I'd be checking into it.

One problem few have talked about is the problem older designs have with low effectiveness at low RPM. They can produce the amperage only at high RPMs. Newer designs are less prone to this.

diesel_jim

Post#53 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:21 am

I'm not sure how much room there is on the various G engines, but have you considered a twin alternator setup?

I've run this on several of my Landrovers, and friends ones. The bracketry is fairly simple to make (and, like the G, LR's are used in military circuits, so the FFR versions have twin alt's as standard).

I used the twin setup for running my winch. that way I could totally flatten the winch battery in a worst-case situation, and still be able to start the engine on the main vehicle batt. and with a link switch, could joint both batteries together as a fail-safe redundancy option.

Fernando BR

Post#54 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:09 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:I'm not sure how mine is different but I am using the Saab version and it works. As for belt replacement - ditto Steve's fountain of "language". I've been told that there are newer Bosch units that produce 150-amps and have a smaller body with the same mounting points. If it didn't just install this one last year I'd be checking into it.

One problem few have talked about is the problem older designs have with low effectiveness at low RPM. They can produce the amperage only at high RPMs. Newer designs are less prone to this.

It worked ok even not 100% aligned .I decided to change it before a long travel. Didnt want the pain of a belt change with it. The AL69X fited better and is a 80A.

syncro_G

Post#55 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Earlier this year, I made a new bracket for the wrangler alternator. This one solves the tension issues.

alt barcket.jpg
alternator bracket for Wrangler NW alternator

Fernando BR

Post#56 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi Syncro , nice. Do you think it fits with AC bracket? Looking to it , looks like that the curve will help a lot.

stevegsmith

Post#57 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Fernando,
Didn't I send you a Delco alt front plate housing? Whatever happened to just going Delco (Wrangler NW)? Your local alt shop can build you one. You should try it and buy a alternator swing arm from Syncro. Not sure if it fits with the AC bracket but its worth a shot.

inkblotz

Post#58 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Impressive looking set up Stevo.

Fernando BR

Post#59 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:55 pm

stevegsmith wrote:Fernando,
Didn't I send you a Delco alt front plate housing? Whatever happened to just going Delco (Wrangler NW)? Your local alt shop can build you one. You should try it and buy a alternator swing arm from Syncro. Not sure if it fits with the AC bracket but its worth a shot.

Hi Steve , yes you sent it. In the meantime i tranformed the original 55A to something like 75A before a trip and sold the SAAB . After that i bought the AL69X (bosch) 80A tried and it fits . I do have the plate housing for a next experience :geek:

stevegsmith

Post#60 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:49 pm

Great!

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”