Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

280G Headlight Issues

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
wcukajeff

280G Headlight Issues

Post#1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:56 am

Hi everyone. I have a 1979 280G with headlight issues. When turning on the switch to headlight mode, the headlights only come on very, very dim (as if you were just turning on the parking lights).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

ontum

Re: 280G Headlight Issues

Post#2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:13 pm

Are both lights the same brightness? If not it could be a bulb. You may want to grab a multi meter and check the amps at the lights and then the switch.

I just switched a standard american lens and bulb out for a H4 like it had on the other side. Check out all the wasps nests I found.

-
Craig

inkblotz

Post#3 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Are you sure that the headlight are coming on or are you seeing the small parking lights that are housed below the main bulbs in the headlight housing? To test turn you light switch one click to the first position and see if you are seeing the same light as in the second position. Obviously check your fuse under the dash.

Mark

schuhe

Post#4 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:46 pm

You have a 1979 G, so the switch is a rocker, two position switch. I once had a problem with my 1980 G (my first G) - also had rocker switch. It turned out to be a poor connection at the switch. Once repaired, the headlights functioned well. As noted by Mark, the low watt bulbs operated fine on click one.

Also, check the ground. You should have easy access to the back side of this headlight switch from under the dash.

Good luck.

Tom

schuhe

Post#5 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Mark, What year is your Cabrio?

Hope all is well in Georgia.

Tom

inkblotz

Post#6 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:00 am

schuhe wrote:Mark, What year is your Cabrio?

Hope all is well in Georgia.

Tom

Mine is an 83. It has been very hot here all summer. Remaining in the high 90's with you occasional pop up thunderstorm to get the humidity up there.

Hope all is well with you up there at the opposite end of the country.

Mark

inkblotz

Post#7 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:03 am

Craig

How long had your G sat to yield such an impressive wasp collection? Hopefully they had already departed when you opened it up.

M

Dai C

Post#8 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:12 am

wcukajeff wrote:Hi everyone. I have a 1979 280G with headlight issues. When turning on the switch to headlight mode, the headlights only come on very, very dim (as if you were just turning on the parking lights).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

A detailed repair of the switch can be found right here in the G Tech section of this website: http://72.167.155.99/gtech.php?pageTitl ... tem&tid=38
One of the great articles that Dave G posted.
This refers to the kind of switch used in the early 460 G's, not the later rotary headlight switch versions.

-Dai

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”