Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

2002 G500 - Instrument Cluster

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
prbmeat

2002 G500 - Instrument Cluster

Post#1 » Tue May 08, 2012 10:10 am

Anyone ever changed an instrument cluster out on a 2002 G500? Is it as simple as plug and play? The MB directions say I need a "quiescent current retention" device ... what the hell is that? It also suggests to "Read diagnostic trouble code memory and erase ... "

The reason I ask ... and as you might know from my previous posts ... I get an error every now and again (daily now) "Battery Alternator Visit Workshop". Last year, I changed out the alternator for a brand new one and the same with the battery. I take my truck to Collie Autoworks every summer to get the proper love from Darren who is the best in the bizz. He suggested that the error can be the result of a faulty instrument cluster ... but my cluster works fine. Just to be thorough we tested the alternator (again) and the battery (again) and everything is charging and holding a charge just fine.

That being said, instead of buying a brand new cluster for anywhere north of $2200 ... I found a refurb'd newer'ish one from a shop in LV for 90% less than a brand new one (thanks Serpe). I am planning on taking my truck to LA to have a fresh set of eyes look at it in a few weeks as well ... mechanically my truck is tip top, but this elecrical issue is killing me right now. If I swap out the cluster and don't get the error anymore I won't drive down to LA and can take care of all my service here in the basion locally!!!! If I do get it ... we can perhaps conclude it's NOT the instrument cluster at all. Although I would have the chance to use a 2012 G55 AMG as a loaner which sounds fun and take to the farm!! But all kidding aside, my fear is that when I swap out clusters I may encounter an entire host of errors that cannot be cleared without the SDS ... thus paralyzing my vehicle.

Any suggestions? Should I just go for it? I am getting fairly desperate and need to get this last outstanding problem reconciled ASAP.

Thanks everyone ... hoping to be able to escape for a few days and make it to the farm.

Peace and love.

Big Meat

mk216v

Re: 2002 G500 - Instrument Cluster

Post#2 » Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am

prbmeat wrote:Anyone ever changed an instrument cluster out on a 2002 G500? Is it as simple as plug and play? The MB directions say I need a "quiescent current retention" device ... what the hell is that? It also suggests to "Read diagnostic trouble code memory and erase ... "

The reason I ask ... and as you might know from my previous posts ... I get an error every now and again (daily now) "Battery Alternator Visit Workshop". Last year, I changed out the alternator for a brand new one and the same with the battery. I take my truck to Collie Autoworks every summer to get the proper love from Darren who is the best in the bizz. He suggested that the error can be the result of a faulty instrument cluster ... but my cluster works fine. Just to be thorough we tested the alternator (again) and the battery (again) and everything is charging and holding a charge just fine.

That being said, instead of buying a brand new cluster for anywhere north of $2200 ... I found a refurb'd newer'ish one from a shop in LV for 90% less than a brand new one (thanks Serpe). I am planning on taking my truck to LA to have a fresh set of eyes look at it in a few weeks as well ... mechanically my truck is tip top, but this elecrical issue is killing me right now. If I swap out the cluster and don't get the error anymore I won't drive down to LA and can take care of all my service here in the basion locally!!!! If I do get it ... we can perhaps conclude it's NOT the instrument cluster at all. Although I would have the chance to use a 2012 G55 AMG as a loaner which sounds fun and take to the farm!! But all kidding aside, my fear is that when I swap out clusters I may encounter an entire host of errors that cannot be cleared without the SDS ... thus paralyzing my vehicle.

Any suggestions? Should I just go for it? I am getting fairly desperate and need to get this last outstanding problem reconciled ASAP.

Thanks everyone ... hoping to be able to escape for a few days and make it to the farm.

Peace and love.

Big Meat

Mr. Pork Sausage,

It's possible that the cluster could be causing your error code, but I bet it's something else. I'd have the wiring checked first; positive's and especially ground's. Who knows, perhaps the new alternator is faulty in some way? I've seen that before.

The issue with a used cluster is that you'd have their mileage showing--there's no way I know of on any German vehicle to enter in your mileage(on a new cluster yes, on a used, no). AFAIK, due to the immobilizer, you will need to point your key and the engine ECU to the used cluster so that they all sync up, so you'll have to have an SDS or the like to do this.

LMK sunshine,
Jeremy

prbmeat

Post#3 » Wed May 09, 2012 8:26 am

... I have to agree re: it most likely something else. You should take a trip here to the basin with "The Beast" and we can host you at our pad and hit up some trail heads up here. I know Serpe & Smith would be interested for sure. I have plently of cold brew and a garage-majal to service vehicels in and a in law unit above with all the goodies and ammenities.

A while ago I was on a short road trip and my front left bulb went out ... I'm thinking no big deal ... but when I went to trigger my high beams I would get the "Battery Alternator" warning. I remember back at the farm last year, Karl plugged in and was not able to connect with my Front SAM N10/1. That could be something I take a look at tonight. I have a feeling it is going to be an easy fix once found. Every person I have talked with said it is most definitely a faulty ground ... so at this point I am going to pursue it like it is. Other than that ... my Silver Fox is tip top. I'll keep you posted.

Nice work on the new truck too chief.

Peace from the basin.

Meat Hog

mk216v

Post#4 » Wed May 09, 2012 10:06 am

prbmeat wrote:... I have to agree re: it most likely something else. You should take a trip here to the basin with "The Beast" and we can host you at our pad and hit up some trail heads up here. I know Serpe & Smith would be interested for sure. I have plently of cold brew and a garage-majal to service vehicels in and a in law unit above with all the goodies and ammenities.

A while ago I was on a short road trip and my front left bulb went out ... I'm thinking no big deal ... but when I went to trigger my high beams I would get the "Battery Alternator" warning. I remember back at the farm last year, Karl plugged in and was not able to connect with my Front SAM N10/1. That could be something I take a look at tonight. I have a feeling it is going to be an easy fix once found. Every person I have talked with said it is most definitely a faulty ground ... so at this point I am going to pursue it like it is. Other than that ... my Silver Fox is tip top. I'll keep you posted.

Nice work on the new truck too chief.

Peace from the basin.

Meat Hog

Carne Lips,

A trip down to Tahoe is definitely on my list, thank you for the invite!! < hail >

I could bring our Autologic scan tool to Dai's if you bring the Silver Foxie up.

Thank you very kindly, I'm excited for it!

Peace from a place-that-isn't-currently-raining.

Gelande

Post#5 » Thu May 10, 2012 1:36 pm

go for it bro, plug that thing in and see what happens.... then tell us about it!

you won't blow anything up trying it out, so don't worry

worst case is imobilizer won't let the car start, no big deal, plug old one back in, start car

mk216v

Post#6 » Thu May 10, 2012 7:58 pm

mserpe wrote:go for it bro, plug that thing in and see what happens.... then tell us about it!

you won't blow anything up trying it out, so don't worry

worst case is imobilizer won't let the car start, no big deal, plug old one back in, start car

Wait, plug the used cluster in to your rig and see what happens?
LMK further, this could be a group project at Dai's.

prbmeat

Post#7 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:00 am

http://www.elitemotors.com/

I am taking my vehicle down to these guys at some point in the next 2 weeks and have them reconcile my problem. I am also going to have some preventative maintenance done and have been very proactive in maintaining my truck.

This is what I have had done in the past 18 months or so:
-CPS replaced
-Karl's Pulley system
-fuel filter replacement
-new alternator
-new battery
-coolent system flush a la vaccum method!
-new brakes all the way around
-obviously several oil changes
-new bilsteins all the way around

This is what I am going to have done months end:
-obvioulsy fix my B/A warning error
-replace MAS air flow sensor
-put an aux harness in so i can plug my iPod in ... and remove CD Changer (gonna figure out what to do with that space later)
-replace or recondition my center drive shaft
-oil change and service B
-new tires (yes i have ashtaroths 18")

I am encroaching on 105k miles ... anything else I should have done folks? This is my birthday present to myself (its later this summer so save the birthday wishes) ... and this is the time to get all my work done for the next 100k. Dr. Eric, Dr. Serpe, Former Red Flyer, Stevarino ... how big can I go re: tires on a stock setup 2002 G500? Any recommendations? I'll prob just go BF Good ... you guys tell me make and model. Eric, I think you have the most experience since we have similar stock setups .... i.e. no lift, 18", etc. I want to get a "meaty-er" setup with respect to tire size (my Yoko A/Ts look tiny in my wheel well). :ugeek:

Looking foward to seeing you all.

Carne

mk216v

Post#8 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 am

prbmeat wrote:http://www.elitemotors.com/

I am taking my vehicle down to these guys at some point in the next 2 weeks and have them reconcile my problem. I am also going to have some preventative maintenance done and have been very proactive in maintaining my truck.

This is what I have had done in the past 18 months or so:
-CPS replaced
-Karl's Pulley system
-fuel filter replacement
-new alternator
-new battery
-coolent system flush a la vaccum method!
-new brakes all the way around
-obviously several oil changes
-new bilsteins all the way around

This is what I am going to have done months end:
-obvioulsy fix my B/A warning error
-replace MAS air flow sensor
-put an aux harness in so i can plug my iPod in ... and remove CD Changer (gonna figure out what to do with that space later)
-replace or recondition my center drive shaft
-oil change and service B
-new tires (yes i have ashtaroths 18")

I am encroaching on 105k miles ... anything else I should have done folks? This is my birthday present to myself (its later this summer so save the birthday wishes) ... and this is the time to get all my work done for the next 100k. Dr. Eric, Dr. Serpe, Former Red Flyer, Stevarino ... how big can I go re: tires on a stock setup 2002 G500? Any recommendations? I'll prob just go BF Good ... you guys tell me make and model. Eric, I think you have the most experience since we have similar stock setups .... i.e. no lift, 18", etc. I want to get a "meaty-er" setup with respect to tire size (my Yoko A/Ts look tiny in my wheel well). :ugeek:

Looking foward to seeing you all.

Carne

MeatPie,

Looks like a good place. You have a great list there. I too will be going with a new CPS and Karl's pullies.
Are you getting "system too lean mult(multiplicative)" codes and that's why you want to replace the MAF(mass airflow) sensor?
I have the factory iPod cable in my truck and it's pretty good. You have to crank up your iPod volume to max and then crank the deck volume to hear anything though.
Regarding your center driveshaft, are you having vibration issues?

At 105k, have you already had these services done?;
--Tranny fluid/filter
--Front and rear diff fluids changed
--Front trunions (big silver ballz) rebuilt--huge one. I will need to do this as I approach 100k, the other two above were just done by the PO.

Dr. Eric should be the one with the most tire experience on the stock 18" Ash's. I have moved down to 16's in order to get more tire.

PS--Happy Birthday CarneAsada!!

Gelande

Post#9 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:03 am

If you want just one set of tires for year round use, go with Goodyear Dura Track

If you want more aggressive summer tires, and then you can get snow tires go for BFG MT KM2 or Goodyear MT/R Kevlars in the summer and Nokian Hakkapalitta or the I-pikes you have on your lovely lady's Rover.

tire rack sells all of these right out of reno, you can even go pick em up and save the ship cost

I suugest transmission flush, center driveshaft CV cleanout of old grease and repack with new, grease driveshafts front and rear, change out diff and t-0case fluids to redline or amsoil 85w or 90w synthetic gear lube. Check for play in front end, you are probably fine with just 100k in that department, but worth a quick check in the garage.you can run 33" diameter tires on your 18s with no problem. Suggest sticking to 11.5 inch or less width or you will rub when you steer all the way to full lock... otherwise we can set you with some nice billet aircraft alu spacers which we make in different thicknesses starting at 10mm and all the way up to 50mm.

We also offer the porsche wheel adaptors which will allow any G to run Porsche forged alloys which are far superior to Mercedes cast wheels... and they are more plentiful and come in all different sizes and offsets

prbmeat

Post#10 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:49 am

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-sel ... re-details

I'm going to order up tires ... can anyone help me determine what the proper size I should get on my 18" Ashtaroths? I'd love to get Atiks ... the real estate tax guy just stopped by ... and my Ashtaroths are just fine for what I charge.

295/65/18?
285/70/18

Thanks in advance.

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”