Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

ACDelco Alternator body mount hole modification

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
stevegsmith

ACDelco Alternator body mount hole modification

Post#1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:13 pm

Hello all,
Some of us have AC Delco high amp output alternators. And, that same "some of us" have the problem of the alternator casing lower bolt hole being slightly larger than 12mm AND the width of that alternator casing mount being too narrow requiring a PIA shim so that it fits snug in the Mercedes alternator mount.

One solution is milling a brass collared sleeve bushing. Then, bore out the hole on the AC Delco alt body, insert new sleeve.

If you have an AC Delco alternator and know what I'm talking about and would like one of these bushings yourself, let me know, I'm about to order a few.

stevegsmith

Re: ACDelco Alternator body mount hole modification

Post#2 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:56 am

I don't think this does much for any of you due to the lack of response. I know that Dai and Christian have these and since it applies just enough, here's more thrilling information.

Success on the bushing. $20.00 a bushing or $30 for a housing w/bushing.

Drill out the old hole to 9/16", install bushing from the back, and now the housing fits properly and snugly (enough) on the 10mm alt bolt.

Word.

p.s. Dai, you should get yours tomorrow.

p.p.s. Christian, you forgot to pick yours up yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_3534.jpg
IMG_3536.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG

Fernando BR

Post#3 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:54 pm

Nice job , i am changing to a SAAB 115A alternator , i am going to adapt your idea , but in my case i had to increase hole to engine body oposite direction . My question : is this set ok to use L bolt to adjust/change belt?

Thanks

stevegsmith

Post#4 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:29 am

Fernando BR wrote:Nice job , i am changing to a SAAB 115A alternator , i am going to adapt your idea , but in my case i had to increase hole to engine body oposite direction . My question : is this set ok to use L bolt to adjust/change belt?

Thanks

Not sure I understand Fernando. Can you explain more?

Fernando BR

Post#5 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 am

Steve , my new alternator fited but it was very tight even with L bolt completely (almost) loose . So it would be a big problem to loose the belt one day . The first idea was to use a thin bolt , after that i decided to increase the ear hole in the alternator to center direction to have space to move alternator and loose/tight belt. The holes now are at the same direction of original. I had to eat a little the alternator body to have a nice adjustment to engine bracket. The bushings you have made are a great idea in therms of security. What i was asking is if your have free space to loose/tight belt.

Dai C

Post#6 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 pm

Hey Steve, I did receive the bushing and housing today. Really nice work on the machining and installation in the housing. I look forward to handing the parts to my automotive electrical repair guru at Peoria Electric. I have a broken Wrangler that I hope he can fix with these great parts!

Thanks, Mr. Smith. Awesome Job.

-Dai

Dai C

Post#7 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:53 pm

By the way, the G is now in the two broken bolt club. PK was driving the G each time that happened. She is somewhat skeptical that this is the fix, but she likes the look of the parts...

-Dai

stevegsmith

Post#8 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Dai,
I'll send you a pic of my top bolt tomorrow. Another fix. Anchient chinese secret. ;)

syncro_G

Post#9 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:24 pm

This is pretty cool. I too am in the two broken bolt club (tbbc)
I keep a Saab Bosch alt in the back of the truck plus spare bolts and tools in case I'm ever stranded again.

Fernando BR

Post#10 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:24 pm

I am using SAAB bosch 115A . I opened a little the alternator ear hole near the engine bracket where lower bolt goes. ( lots of tape protection against small metalic dust ). I am using a 8 mm alternator lower bolt cause its easy to adjust belt with it. I think 10mm will work , 12 mm not.
Attachments
2012-10-20-133.jpg
2012-10-20-132.jpg
2012-10-20-130.jpg

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”