Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 Fuse Box Upgrade

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
VolvoC303

Re: W460 Fuse Box Upgrade

Post#21 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:08 pm

I'd argue that making a new harness will be pretty far from a piece of cake. You'll really need to reserve some time for that job and the endless measuring needed. You need high-quality auto or marine fine-strand wire; there should be some good suppliers in your area or you might try West Marine. Following the stock color codes might prove tough to find though. If not, he needs to make a detailed schematic of the new colors. Beware of wear/scuff points too! Hopefully he has done some auto-specific wire work before. I know engineers that can't translate paper to the real world at all. ;)

About that breaker idea. Having had breakers in an older 4x4, I'd never switch out to them purposefully. For an off-road truck, a fuse can be a nice, simple thing to have. You can easily see if it's good or not and there's no guess work going on, plus you can test circuits without pulling them. You can also do tricks in the middle of nowhere like wrap a blown fuse with alum foil (or gum wrapper) to get you home (after testing that its safe!). None of this is easy with a breaker. The old Swiss Pinzgauers have breakers and they do some weird sh*t sometimes. I know some people who have gone through the trouble of switching them out to Austrian versions which are all fuses because of the breaker headaches.

VolvoC303

Post#22 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Fernando BR

Post#23 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:08 pm

THis is a 16 fuses one , but on my 300GD i am using direct + from batery to AC and head lights , so i adated slade fuses and relays on engine housing. I like the original ceramic fuses for other consumers.
Attachments
caixa-de-fusivel-tipo-lmina-universal-16-polos_MLB-O-2803252858_062012.jpg
caixa-de-fusivel-tipo-lmina-universal-16-polos_MLB-O-2803252858_062012.jpg (22.02 KiB) Viewed 1250 times

bratwurst

Post#24 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:53 pm

VolvoC303 wrote:I'd argue that making a new harness will be pretty far from a piece of cake. You'll really need to reserve some time for that job and the endless measuring needed.

I have to agree. Compared to other car wiring jobs, the G is pretty trivial. But that is in the context rewiring a vehicle - which is a massive PITA unequalled by pretty much any other possible job on a car.

I would focus on solving the problems one by one.

Suppatime

Post#25 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:26 pm

bratwurst wrote:
VolvoC303 wrote:I'd argue that making a new harness will be pretty far from a piece of cake. You'll really need to reserve some time for that job and the endless measuring needed.

I have to agree. Compared to other car wiring jobs, the G is pretty trivial. But that is in the context rewiring a vehicle - which is a massive PITA unequalled by pretty much any other possible job on a car.

I would focus on solving the problems one by one.

Well this is a way to solve most of my electrical problems. I have a 280GE harness that's been spliced, re-spliced, cut and taped off and who knows what else. Sure, there will be measuring a-plenty, but I truly feel there will be an end benefit to new wires all around.

Yes, it's a pain. That's why I'm paying a friend of mine to do it based on the 300GD wiring diagram.

bratwurst

Post#26 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Sorry dealing with chaos in real life, so haven't had a chance to reply in a few days....

I'm getting 12.9V on the hot side 0.9V on the other with the battery connected and the fuse removed. Disconnecting the battery and switching the meter to Ohms, I'm getting anywhere between 3.77 and 37.4 on one side and 0.0 consistently on the other. On the first side (the hot side from the first measurement) is where the jump in Ohms occurs, usually between 3.77 and 10.0.

So the 12.9 is normal - actually really good assuming the motor is not running. The .9 V on the other side I'm am 99.5% certain is due to a ground loop - a bad ground somewhere.

Did you manage to isolate the wires attached to the clock lead? I would snip that wire as a start and see if you get rid of the fuse problem.

You win. I looked back there and it looks like a pile of crap. I actually noticed rust through one of the rear support beams under the rear door. This is going to get expensive rather quickly, from a body work standpoint.

I don't see any M6 bolts down there. What I do see is a lot of electrical tape, lose wires and rust.

Cool I win? :) I hope the prize is in beer.

I've attached a pic of my truck's rear ground point. It is just angled a bit "up" from the viewpoint of the pic you took. Sorry, lighting was horrible but it should get the message across. It looks like the pic you took was of at least one brown wire. Any brown wires should be grounded. This ground point is especially important for the gas gauge - the fuel tank sensor is grounded here.

Cheers,

Michael
Attachments
20130415_200007.jpg
g-wagen rear ground point

Suppatime

Post#27 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 pm

bratwurst wrote:Cool I win? :) I hope the prize is in beer.

If you come down here for the next Treffen and I'm around, that will absolutely be the case.

bratwurst wrote:So the 12.9 is normal - actually really good assuming the motor is not running. The .9 V on the other side I'm am 99.5% certain is due to a ground loop - a bad ground somewhere.

Did you manage to isolate the wires attached to the clock lead? I would snip that wire as a start and see if you get rid of the fuse problem.

If by isolate you mean found one that was twisted to another + wire and disconnected, then yes. But I'm still having Temp and Fuel fluctuations.

bratwurst wrote:I've attached a pic of my truck's rear ground point. It is just angled a bit "up" from the viewpoint of the pic you took. Sorry, lighting was horrible but it should get the message across.

Yes, point made -- my G was used and abused more than yours!

bratwurst wrote:It looks like the pic you took was of at least one brown wire. Any brown wires should be grounded. This ground point is especially important for the gas gauge - the fuel tank sensor is grounded here.

You're absolutely right about the loose ground needing a home, and I'll assume for now this lack of a ground is causing my low fuel indicator to be permanently on. I'll have to get in there with a wire brush and a new bolt. But as it's not an essential fix right now, I might hold it off as part of what will be done at a local shop in the near future -- a frame-off will soon be in order.

inkblotz

Post#28 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:08 am

If I still had my 460 I would have done the Porsche 914 blade conversion that I posted. 12 fuse block out 12 fuse block in.

Also to help with the grounding I ran an additional ground wire from the negative on the battery to the shock tower. There are predrilled holes there used for RHD vehicle breather vents.

Mark

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”