Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Nolden 7" round Bi-LED headlight review!

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
mk216v

Re: Nolden 7" round Bi-LED headlight review!

Post#41 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:56 pm

Otiswesty wrote:The stock head light on a 460 does not use a bucket. The adjustment screws and spring are attached the the frame of the headlight itself. However, this is not a DOT compliant set up, so they are usually removed during the federalization process.

I think I may have confused us all with our terms here. Sorry in advance.

Thanks for the info on the non-federalized W460's (ie how they are in der Fatherland).

mk216v

Post#42 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Just a heads up that I(and Tony, thx Tony!) did confirm W460 fitment! Will post pics soon with a headlight bucket part number to confirm your W460 has the correct buckets.

tommy

Post#43 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:13 pm

Now my head is swimming with all of this headlight - technical 460 talk.

I just want to know what is the status of a possible order for the 463 versions???? Do you have the number of orders to complete a purchase yet?

Regards, Tommy

mk216v

Post#44 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:48 pm

tommy wrote:Now my head is swimming with all of this headlight - technical 460 talk.

I just want to know what is the status of a possible order for the 463 versions???? Do you have the number of orders to complete a purchase yet?

Regards, Tommy

Hehe, you don't need to worry about the W460 talk since you have a W463.

They need 5 more to be able to get the deal. I'm working with them on a co-worker's Jeep TJ fitment.

offroad-world

Post#45 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:34 am

just an update with pics .

mfg. guido .
Attachments
DSC_0459.JPG
DSC_0460.JPG

grazza

Post#46 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:59 am

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but I am running some ebay led headlight H4 bulbs in my lights and I am very happy.
I am sure they are in no way as good as the dedicated LED's headlights mentioned but compared to 1970's factory headlights in a W460 I am impressed.
They cost me $AU150 and seem reasonably well made/designed with large heatsinks and fans on the back.
As I indicated they are not in the same league as the Nolden/Trucklite/Speaker lights, but they are better then the various H4 bulbs I have used over the years, altough unfortunatley a bit blue (high colour temp)

I dont do a lot of night driving but these things, combined with my 120W light bar, are more than enough, especially in low-speed offroad tracks.

They look a bit like these, I will get pictures of my bulbs if anyone wants them.

AlanMcR

Post#47 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:08 am

They have to be wildly out of focus. The optics are designed for a skinny filament and the LED is a wide circle. They may work for you, but I feel sorry for oncoming traffic.

grazza

Post#48 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:23 pm

I was concerned about this but have used them in convoy and asked others on the radio and they did not report glaring/blinding on low beam. Not very scientific but also note that most of my night driving is outback and off-road. I agree that many lights like these, particulary aftermarket HID kits are not good for other road users.

Gregoooogle

Post#49 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:24 am

You could also swap in some LED bulbs to the stock light housing. I went with these and have been very happy with them. For $20, I think it’s a no brainer.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/CREE-COB-H4-9003 ... 1696930676
-Gregoooogle

maldav

Post#50 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:23 am

I have a question for the group about LED conversions and headlight buckets/rings.

I have a 1991 463 LWB and I am swapping out the Euro-spec incandescent headlights with JW Speaker LEDs.

I read on this and other forums a number of postings about the conversion. As I understand it, I need buckets/rings. What is not clear to me is which buckets/rings I need.

I understand Europa installed what appears to be Porsche reference 477 941 050A (aka the 461 bucket/ring?) in order to be able to convert its imports to DOT headlights.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows whether I have to use that Porsche bucket/ring, or if I can use either the JW Speaker bucket/ring or any other aftermarket bucket/ring.

Also, if the 461 and Porsche buckets/rings are different from each other, please let me know.

Much appreciated.

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”