Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Heater blower motor, are you f'in kidding me?

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
G Nome

Re: Heater blower motor, are you f'in kidding me?

Post#31 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:20 am

Thanks Chris.

That reminded me that I was going to try this modification. Thoughts?

http://www.dieselgiant.com/thermostatre ... dmodif.htm

Chris

Post#32 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:17 pm

The idea behind this modification is to make an engine run cooler in hot climates, not heat up quicker when cold. I strongly feel this guys approach is misguided, he must think the temp gauge in his MBZ should never raise above the middle mark like they do on american or Japanese cars.

Daewoo

Post#33 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:59 pm

Chris - this is what I was afraid of DIY project. The effort is noble but not thoroughly understanding the heat transfer process could end up poking ones in the eye

AlanMcR

Post#34 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:13 pm

This fix is going to make the engine run too cold when engine braking on downhills. Combine an over-cooled engine and high revs from engine braking and you might just wreck your engine.
MB diesels are very well designed. If you engine is running hot, figure out what the problem is and fix it.

inkblotz

Post#35 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:29 pm

For me the only benefit of this mod is to get air out of your system. You'll find the newer thermostats have a single hole built in. When Installed the hole is positioned on the high side of the thermostat housing allowing trapped air to move through.

Mark

grazza

Post#36 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:00 pm

...speaking of which.
Can someone tell me what the correct operating temperature range is for an OM606a?
My guage does not have any numbers and I am curious.
thanks.

nihil

Post#37 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:38 pm

vadimivanovich wrote:Man, I have to admit I was skeptical about all this, but congratulations on full successful execution!

Thanks! I wasn't 100% sure what the results were going to be, but the math added up. At the end of the day, some heat is better than no heat, so I went forward. Current temps are 28F/-3.3C, and it's probably going to drop even further, so I might go for a drive later with the grill blocked off to see how it does at proper operating temps.

G Nome wrote:Way to go and thank you for posting along the way. Great pictures and fun to see the heat images.

A 460 in the cold climates can be a challenge for sure.

Look forward to seeing the vent in front of the radiator and controls. Super helpful for the WVO crowd.

Thanks.

Kent

Glad you enjoyed it. I had a lot of fun and there's a certain level of satisfaction seeing something you built working properly. I've been pondering a multi-tank/multi-fuel setup, and WVO is one of the things I want to try, but the variable vanes in front of the radiator are only a small part of what I have planned on that front. I'll be going the active tank/line heating route using engine coolant and a series of valves. It will heat the WVO tank for cold weather and provide extra coolant capacity along with heat dissipation for hot weather if needed.

Chris wrote:Your thermostat may be incorrect for winter use.
There is warm climate thermostat (opens @ 72*C) and a cold climate thermostat (opens @ 85*C).

I do indeed have the warm climate thermostat, but mostly because we see more hot extremes than we do cold here. That's not to say we don't get a fair dose of both however. Last year my thermometer outside read extremes of -14F/-25.5C in the winter, and 116F/46.6C in the summer, and it changes very quickly. I'd rather have an engine run too cold than too hot, so summer thermostat and some adjustable airflow at the radiator should do the trick just fine.

G Nome

Post#38 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:24 pm

Let me know when you are ready to do the WVO project. I have been using it for a while now and would be happy to help if I can. A few things have been learned over the years.

Easy in the summer a little more challenging in the winter.

Clean WVO is key for sure. Centrifuges are awesome.

Kent

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”