Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Front bumper-mounted auxiliary lights - W460's

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
grazza

Re: Front bumper-mounted auxiliary lights - W460's

Post#11 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 am

Thanks mate.

Last weekend, camping.

Crank

Post#12 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:43 am

Motto wrote:These are Hella 450
i had large round ones before and I hardly used them since they were spot light only for off road use.
But these ones are different. I used very often on road especially in bad weather. Very wide angle allows me to notice everything next to road which is helpful to avoid big games. Does not really bother up coming traffic. They are sold as fog light not spot light so not designed for off road use.
Enjoy your G
Motto

Very nice, I like those.

I have been thinking about the rectangular ones, just like those on the W461.

Anyone know which exact model are used by the factory on the W461? Looks like they could be either Hella 450, or Hella 550 (slightly larger than the 450)...?

My 280GE had these Hella 160 fog's installed a long time ago, maybe factory, maybe when it was Federalized, I don't know. They are in perfect condition, but the stone covers are brittle and broken due to age --- I can't find replacement covers for 160's, so I am considering squirrelling the 160's away for safekeeping (due to their originality) and replacing them with some modern and easily replaceable fog's. I may get some Hella spot's, but they will be permanently mounted on a roof rack, which will be removed when it's not being driven off road.

offroad-world

Post#13 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:14 am

do they have a plastic or metal housing ?

mfg. guido .

Crank

Post#14 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:02 am

offroad-world wrote:do they have a plastic or metal housing ?

mfg. guido .

Mine have a metal housing. They look like an old school set, period correct.

Looks like most of the modern Hella's have an ABS plastic housing. Sad. Some are even made in Taiwan... very sad.

Daewoo

Post#15 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:34 am

Please check your fact regarding modern hella lights are all plastics and made in china. I have the modern Hella 4000i xenon light with powder coated metal housing. It's written made in Germany all over it.

I only dislike for its size but it is very well made. Here is the link on the facts

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... act-xenon/

Crank

Post#16 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Daewoo wrote:Please check your fact regarding modern hella lights are all plastics and made in china. I have the modern Hella 4000i xenon light with powder coated metal housing. It's written made in Germany all over it.

I only dislike for its size but it is very well made. Here is the link on the facts

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... act-xenon/

Read what I wrote.

MOST of the modern Hella's have ABS plastic housings. You can see that on Hella's websites. Look at Hella 450's, 550's, 500's, etc. Plastic housings. Yes, there are new Hella's with metal housings, but they are the top of the range lights that cost the most money.

Sadly, MOST of the Hella's with plastic housings are made in Taiwan. You can read it on the plastic housings themselves. The metal housing Hella's are made in Germany.

Yeah, the Rallye 4000i compact Xenon's are awesome. They're also $400+ per light. I'm not running the Paris-to-Dakar, so I may go with a slightly cheaper version, but we shall see. Gotta get through Chri$tma$ first.

Daewoo

Post#17 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:17 pm

I hear you. On this G platform, I let the boys at Mercedes decide on the product and installed them for me. My only instruction to them was that I didn't want any cheap lights. Good God, when I picked the truck up, the diameter of these Hella lights are as big as the size of the pointed three logo in the center of the grill. Albeit, they are extremely bright when you allow the xenon gas to reach to a proper state of excitation (maybe about a few seconds). They are so bright that it literally scare the buffalo herds away at our last visit in Yellowstone.

If you are doing lots of off-roading, I highly recommend these otherwise forget about it. You will not be able to use it other than off-roading since you will burn out other peoples retina. Price must have gone down since I last installed these. I remembered I had to cough up a lot of cash for these.

megardt

Post#18 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:16 am

I went with eBay 27w LED Floods in the grill, metal casings and reasonable performance. Cheap.

300w LED bar on the roof, mostly blinding myself when lighting up the hood though.

grazza

Post#19 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:21 am

You gotta get that lightbar back far enough to stop the glare, or you are ruining whatever night vision your eyes have left.

Daewoo

Post#20 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:11 am

This may put an end to all offroad lights

http://www.flir.com/cvs/cores/view/?id=51221

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”