Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Optima Redtop battery

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
DesertStar

Re: Optima Redtop battery

Post#21 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:03 pm

stevegsmith wrote:I found my two odysseys on sale online for $225 each. Seriously, do I have to drive out to Atlanta to hold your hand do you can click the "buy" button? Jesus.

Mark, I heard that Home Depot is having a "Build-your-own-Odyssey-Battery-with-parts-off-the-shelf" clinic this Saturday!!

Wanna go?!?!!?

I wish we had the emoticon of the guy doing the hip thrust. I miss that one.

I like your battery setup Steve. Did you customize the stock tray or was it always as pictured ?

Yeah....Atlanta, holding hands, Home Depot and Olive Garden. Good Times !

stevegsmith

Post#22 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:11 am

See Christians' post/thread for the full skinny. Christian and I both made holders to fit into the stock trays.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1466&hilit=battery

DesertStar

Post#23 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:32 am

Thanks Steve... I have never seen that thread.

Mike

Gelande

Post#24 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:28 pm

inkblotz

Post#25 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:59 pm

DesertStar wrote:I say buy the Sears/Odyssey (actually, I say it loudly with my sword in my hand and my pirate hat on ;) ) There are many Sears to go to in your travels versus Odyssey dealers.

The battery color would really compliment your engine compartment.

meh,
Mike

Mike that is so Metrosexual of you. Matching colors ...

VRock

Post#26 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

I'm smitten by the Allure of Odessey, but I've had a couple Optima Yellow tops - one that I installed in my old Series IIA with an 8274 and now one in my 460 with 9.5ti that I got with the rig 5 years ago at least. I've taken them both down low using the winch (to the point where my G would barely run, then died, refused to crank, then mysteriously started right up after waiting 20 mins.) and I have faith in them now.

One thing, which is true regardless of battery: Cables and connections! I TKO'd a string of Optima Red tops in my 1991 GLI with a very modest sound system, all warrantied, but what I didn't realize at the time was how weak the factory wiring connections and main cables had become with age. I went through my G and replaced all primary wiring using oversize cable. So now, even the modest 55 amp alternator hasn't really let me down. I'd like a dual battery setup for more juice when winching.

inkblotz

Post#27 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:31 am

DesertStar wrote:
stevegsmith wrote:I found my two odysseys on sale online for $225 each. Seriously, do I have to drive out to Atlanta to hold your hand do you can click the "buy" button? Jesus.

Mark, I heard that Home Depot is having a "Build-your-own-Odyssey-Battery-with-parts-off-the-shelf" clinic this Saturday!!

Wanna go?!?!!?

I wish we had the emoticon of the guy doing the hip thrust. I miss that one.

I like your battery setup Steve. Did you customize the stock tray or was it always as pictured ?

Yeah....Atlanta, holding hands, Home Depot and Olive Garden. Good Times !

Olive Garden Really Mike? :o

AlanMcR

Post#28 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:01 pm

Well, the wife's E300TD started cranking a bit more slowly. Digging under the back seat, I found an Optima Yellow Top. This battery had been handed down from my G five years ago, when I got the Odyssey. On the row of little date disks, the 2 was carved out. This implies that the battery is from 2002. The early Optimas were really good.
EDIT: Found the order for the battery, dated 7/2002.

Dai C

Post#29 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:53 am

Alan, I agree, the early Optima's were Really good! No longer the case. I don't know what happened but the quality is not longer there. I have been buying the Odyssey 65 PC1750 to replace the Redtops. I'm using these in Landini tractors, Dodge Cummins and they outperform the Redtop Optima. A larger battery. It will take some years to see how long they last. I'm buying them from: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Electrical/E ... Avgt8P8HAQ
Free shipping!
-Dai

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”