Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

W460 idiots guide wiring diagram

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
awjunkies

W460 idiots guide wiring diagram

Post#1 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:22 pm

:D exactly as the title states, I'm in need of one!! More so looking for the lighting diagram. Just like everyone else's my wire harness has been pretty badly butchered up.

For starters 1981 w460 LWB 603/5spd.

Before I purchased it the previous owner was having issues with the headlights so he bypassed some wires and installed relays/etc. and got them to work with the dash switch. During the pre-purchase inspection he had the shop correct more electrical gremlins and paperwork stated bad connections/grounds at F&R turn signals and "suspected faulty turn signal switch."

When I took ownership everything electrical worked (intermittently) with exception of the interior dome, cig light, and rear defroster.

Slowly lights started not working and then right before I took her apart all I had were headlights/tail lights, and a fast front left turn signal.

Finally got her back together today where she is road worthy and now all I have are headlights and tails, no turn/brake/reverse/horn/etc. I can however get high beams with the stalk.

I bought a used turn signal switch from a member here but before I go changing it I want to eliminate as many faults as I can. Obviously I have to check my grounds due to the new paint. But my main concern is the hacked up wires. Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

awjunkies

Re: W460 idiots guide wiring diagram

Post#2 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Also forgot to add that my front turn signals as well as side markers are new. However with the headlight witch at halfway or fully on they don't come on as running lights.

Also, the headlights are newer where they only have the (3) prong connection so the (2) prong is just hanging there.

vadimivanovich

Post#3 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:08 pm

I had flaky headlights at one point, and randomly inop brake lights. The best & most effective thing I ever did was find & clean all of the grounds, and add a missing ground strap from the body to the frame and back up to the battery. The body ground was missing, if there was ever one. It's been years and no trouble since. Even the fuel gauge and turn signals are rock steady now.

When I had the instrument cluster and dash cover panels off, I took the time to clean and group all of the wires I could get to. Everything was a rats nest in there but cleaned up quite easily. I found a couple of fast-on connectors that were no longer needed, and a few spots that needed some liquid electrical tape to heal up a scar on the wire insulation.

During my imminent engine swap I intend to remove the 280GE wiring for the ignition and graft in some weatherpack connectors to keep the plugs water tight and corrosion free. Others have done the same kind of thing.

One last thing that really had me stumped for a while was the fuses. I used to think that it was adequate to check the fuse-fuse block contacts by simply rotating the fuses back and forth in their sockets. This is NOT adequate. After a great deal of grief with one circuit, it turned out that a fuse that looked perfect had corroded perfectly around the contact surfaces of the socket so the metal ends looked fine but were actually not making contact. I finally pulled each fuse out and was dumbfounded to see what had happened. I now am using only brass-ceramic fuses and everything's been great. I keep lots of the older style fuses on hand as backups.

Good luck - sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram for dummies. The factory one isn't that bad, but my copy of it is pretty blurry.

awjunkies

Post#4 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 am

You wouldn't happen to have a fuse block diagram per chance?

awjunkies

Post#5 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:06 am

Also, what color are the license lamp wires? My aftermarket lamp are just cut off but there are two wires zip tied in the driver rear well. One is black w/yellow stripe and the other is a tan color.

G Nome

Post#6 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:39 am

Vadim,

How about a picture of the fuses you use please.

Thanks.

Kent

vadimivanovich

Post#7 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:42 pm

The solid tan wire is always a ground. The other I'd have to verify on the diagram.. maybe tonight.

Fuse pic attached: left-side brass, right-side lead-tin.
See how the right red fuse has compression marks on the contact surface?

awjunkies

Post#8 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:58 pm

So I downloaded the PDF off of fourbyfour and I'm using the 280ge diagram since that what it originally started as:

http://www.fourbyfourclub.com/Manuals/2 ... iagram.pdf

I'm sure you all know how to find it but here's the direct link to the other manuals:

http://www.fourbyfourclub.com/Manual.htm

I started by removing all the fuses and cleaning all contact points with red scotch brite. The #12 fuse (far right red) was busted so I replaced it. I also took the old wiring for the fender mount turn signals as well as quarter panel turn sigs/cut the ends off and soldered new female ends on with shrink wrap.

After all that my passenger side turn signals and pass side brake pedal now register. Drivers side turns blink fast at the dash with no light at front or quarter turn signals and at the rear my parking lamp blinks dim. When I hit the brakes, drivers side goes off and pass side goes bright. Throw in reverse and no white lights, drivers side parks go off and pass side bright again.

I did notice when I had my tail lamps off that all the wires on the drivers tail were cut at one point and twist/electrical taped together. If I have time tomorrow I will try and remedy this issue. Ill also work on bat to body ground and add another body to frame ground somewhere. My fuel still jumps around and my water temp no longer works!!!

vadimivanovich

Post#9 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:16 pm

You're describing textbook bad ground behavior. Any cut and taped wires would only add fuel to the (potential) fire. Have at the obvious things first.

Good luck!

AlanMcR

Post#10 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 pm

On the twisted together wires, these will bring you lots of grief unless they are returned to their original condition.
1) clean the copper,
2) slip a length of shrink tubing down the wire. Double up on the shrink tubing if the wire is in a high wear area.
3) twist the wire together, end-to-end so you minimize the loss of wire length
4) solder the joint
5) slide the shrink tubing back over the joint and heat it.

The grounds and any outside connections should be cleaned and coated with silicone paste before tightening. Properly done they will stay good for a lifetime.

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”