Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

High-AMP output alternators for 280GE

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
vadimivanovich

Re: High-AMP output alternators for 280GE

Post#11 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:09 am

One thing missing from this thread is the fact that higher-output alternators tend to require a higher engine RPM to start charging. This is less-true of the newer-generation Bosch alternators that are covered with fins & vent holes. I believe the one I used for my 617a was from a Saab or Volvo... but various MB sedans had them also. At idle my "ALT" light would come on. I eventually kicked the idle up slightly and somewhat solved this problem - the light went off but charging was weak until driving.

Do NOT get one of these "modified" alternators that were rigged for higher output. The numbers sound great, but they are destined for failure because the internal components are running to their maximum limit.
"The way you think is the way you live"

nihil

Post#12 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:25 am

How difficult would it be to swap a smaller pulley on there to compensate?
1982 300GD LWB RHD

vadimivanovich

Post#13 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:30 am

The pulley is already pretty small, but if you can find a smaller one it is easily replaced.
"The way you think is the way you live"

Crank

Post#14 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:33 am

I am looking at a Mercedes Bosch alternator from a W126 - 80A output. Looks very similar to the 55A unit in my 280GE. May get one to try.
-Crank

Return to “DIY: Electrical Troubleshooting”