Home   Forum   Classifieds   Tech/DIY   News   Articles   Chat   Contact Us

Let's talk tires...

Forum rules
Welcome to the Tech/DIY information archive. This area of the board is for reference purposes, please direct general tech discussion to the G Wagen Technical Forum.
laxal50

Re: Let's talk tires...

Post#51 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:48 am

bkatanch wrote:sorry I meant to ask, what is the largest tire size I can use on my W460 without spacers?
Thanks

I'd like to know too!

vadimivanovich

Post#52 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:30 am

It depends on your wheels. A W460 can take 35" tires without spacers, on stock alloys - I ran those for years. I did trim the frame tubes just outboard of the body mounts due to rubbing. The steering knuckle stops can be adjusted to reduce/prevent rubbing as well. Without any mods, 33" tires usually fit without issue. Wheel width & offset can affect this.
"The way you think is the way you live"

laxal50

Post#53 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:04 am

vadimivanovich wrote:It depends on your wheels. A W460 can take 35" tires without spacers, on stock alloys - I ran those for years. I did trim the frame tubes just outboard of the body mounts due to rubbing. The steering knuckle stops can be adjusted to reduce/prevent rubbing as well. Without any mods, 33" tires usually fit without issue. Wheel width & offset can affect this.

Thanks @vadimivanovich

I have a 91 SWB 463 running on 16" Alloy ATIK wheels. The current tires on my G need to go asap. They are 265/70/16 and approximately 8 years old :o

I like the look/proportions of a larger tire, but don't want to add a lift or make any suspension changes,for now. Your previous comment said that 33" would be doable without any fit issues. I'd like to try the BFG KO2 tires. They are available in 265/70/16 (equivalent to my current tire) as well as 33/12.5/16 (bigger and much less expensive too).

If I understand tire sizing correctly the 33/12.5/16 would 2" wider than what I have now. Is there a way to know if these wider tires will work without rubbing? 4wheelparts is running a great promo on them and I'd need to order them so I want to ensure that I get the right size.

AlanMcR

Post#54 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:03 pm

12.5" would be a 315/70R16?
I can tell you that 285/75R16 will rub just a little at full lock. That can be remedied by trimming and heat warping the liner. An extra 1/2" of intrusion would definitely rub.
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp? ... t2=NewSize
...Alan

Return to “Tech: Wheels and Tires”